L2 charger options in Menu , when Car turned off

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

Every time , we turn off i3, it Displays some options for Charging Level - Low , Max, Reduced.
They would have been convenient to me, as i have solar , and i do change the rate sometimes ,at home , and away from home.
But even though i use only L2, the options only show for L1. So they are useless to me.

If in any one knows, of a way to change them to L2 options, do advise.

The best thing would probably be to get an L2 unit that is designed for your maximum draw. The car won't pull more power than the EVSE announces it has. Note, some EVSE's will allow you to adjust that signal (but not many).

The reason it exists in the car is that the plug-in EVSE that comes with the car might not end up on a dedicated circuit. This means that to keep from popping the protection circuit, you might have to take less power than it says it can provide. For example, it might be on the same circuit that the garage door opener is, and things would work fine until you opened or closed the door, and then, the circuit breaker would pop if the car was pulling the maximum the EVSE says it has.

I am not sure anybody really replied to your post. I have noticed the same thing that you described, where the L1 option comes up when I turn the car off. But I have noticed that if I touch menu, in other words go to the home screen, and then go to settings and then charging, then it brings up a slightly different menu where I have level two as an option.

For level one it seems that I have three different choices, maximum, reduced, minimum. For level two I only get two options which is maximum, and reduced.

I typically keep it on reduced because I hear that it's better for the battery. However I go somewhere where there are not too many stations to charge from, I feel that it is good etiquette to put on maximum so that I can get charged up as quickly as possible and let the next person. Also presume that if I go to a mall or something and I want to charge quickly then maximum is a good option.

Anyway check in that menu and you should be able to find it. Good luck

Back