2nd/3rd Owner Battery Capacity Warranty

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted99

Will the 8 year Battery Capacity Warranty apply to subsequent owners? Do second/third buyers "register" their ownership with BMW?

Yes, battery warranty or 4/years,50K miles manufacturer warranty ports forward to the new owner or in other words, stays with the car, regardless who the owner is.

fwiw, BMW made a policy change a couple of years ago, and I'd double-check about the warranty extending to subsequent users. I haven't read the thing for a long time. WHen sold by a BMW dealer, they can extend it. IOW, read the fine print.

The contract is between BMW and the original purchaser. After that, it depends on what the contract says. Talk to the dealer to be sure what will happen.

The dealer actually told me that bumper to bumper warranty stays with the car for 4 years and 50K miles.

The warranty book I got (sorry, can't find it quickly on my phone,) says that the warranty transfers only if it is either a BMW Certified Preowned subsequent purchaser or if the sale is private-party-to-private-party. So if the car got traded in at a non-BMW dealer, the long warranty stops. But if you're a private buyer buying it from a private seller who was the original purchaser, the warranty transfers.

It also seems to me that the wording would be valid for subsequent private-to-private sales. So second owner to third owner, as long as the first-to-second was also a private party sale.

Back