Software Update

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gps1539

I received an email from BMW today about a software update being available and that they can install it at a bargain price of $200. When I checked the read me doc on their website https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html has a copyright of 2016, so I'm not sure if this is actually new.

Anyone know if UPD05074 is new?

Mainly lists fixes for integration with iPhone iOS 8 and blackberry phones. Looks very old.

gps1539 said:
Mainly lists fixes for integration with iPhone iOS 8 and blackberry phones. Looks very old.
What a strange message you received! If it was from your local BMW dealer, maybe a call to their service department would provide clarification. However, paying a BMW dealer anything for a software update is ludicrous in the age of free over-the-air updates from Tesla.

FWIW, there are some things, mostly related to the subject in hand, that you can download and update in your car by yourself. Check the BMW website. You'll need to generate a login as a user, and put in your VIN. It will list if there are any of those updates available for your car.

Basically, BMW won't let you update core, operational software, but for things like entertainment and integration of phones, those functions sometimes are available for the user to update. You can update your maps by yourself, but not the underlying operational software, for example. You can often find the maps for your car online, and might need a code that you'll have to purchase to get them installed, but the data is free. If you pay a dealer to do this for you, they'll charge anywhere from about a hundred to three.

jadnashuanh said:
FWIW, there are some things, mostly related to the subject in hand, that you can download and update in your car by yourself. Check the BMW website. You'll need to generate a login as a user, and put in your VIN. It will list if there are any of those updates available for your car.

Basically, BMW won't let you update core, operational software, but for things like entertainment and integration of phones, those functions sometimes are available for the user to update. You can update your maps by yourself, but not the underlying operational software, for example. You can often find the maps for your car online, and might need a code that you'll have to purchase to get them installed, but the data is free. If you pay a dealer to do this for you, they'll charge anywhere from about a hundred to three.

Thanks, I know how to update the S/W and maps. My question was if the update was new.

Back