What winter tires??

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobra75007

I live in Denver and could use new tires, at least on the back. Anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive tires I should get? All- Season maybe?

If you want winter tires for the i3, there are only two sold in the USA, the OEM Bridgestones and the Nokian Hakkapolita R3. OF the two, I think the R3 is probably a better tire. Note, they are only available in 19" and the narrower style used on the base i3 (not the staggered set - the same as the front). Every car and tire company recommends putting them on all four wheels. Think of it, the front's steer and get most of the stopping power (well, maybe not if you only use regen, but in an emergency, the fronts are very important), while the rears definately help getting the car started when it's slippery. They aren't super expensive, but aren't super cheap, either, since you may need to buy new wheels to support them.

jadnashuanh said:
If you want winter tires for the i3, there are only two sold in the USA, the OEM Bridgestones and the Nokian Hakkapolita R3. OF the two, I think the R3 is probably a better tire. Note, they are only available in 19" and the narrower style used on the base i3 (not the staggered set - the same as the front). Every car and tire company recommends putting them on all four wheels. Think of it, the front's steer and get most of the stopping power (well, maybe not if you only use regen, but in an emergency, the fronts are very important), while the rears definately help getting the car started when it's slippery. They aren't super expensive, but aren't super cheap, either, since you may need to buy new wheels to support them.

I'm using the Nokinan on my i3 and I can only reccomand them. Very efficent on both snow and heavy rain.

jadnashuanh said:

+1 to this.

I purchased the BMW Style 428 Turbine jet black rims with the Bridgestone Blizzack LM-500 tires. So far so good. They seem much quieter than the 20" summer tires too and due to being 19's the ride is a bit softer too.

I live in Canada, just a bit northwest of Toronto. We've already had some cold icy & snowy mornings and the tires have been great. So far so good.

I have the OEM winter tires on my i3 and have had decent luck with them over the years. I recently put some R3's on my ICE, but have not had any ice/snow to test them out with. I had Michelin Alpines on it...on dry roads, I like the R3's better. If the comparison tests are accurate, they should be better in snow/ice as well...may get a chance to try it later this week!

Nokian originated winter tires, others tried to copy, drivers there see probably one of the longest winter seasons of anywhere people drive frequently, and, have always tested well in comparisons. As in the OEM tire, the R3s were designed as low-rolling resistance tires, so ideal for the i3.

Back