Connected App in UK

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patni1

I've had my i3 since March and love it. I'm about to upgrade my mobile phone from something ancient and want to get one that can control my i3 from afar. Is the compatibility list on the BMW site the best bet to pick a new mobile from? And is there anything I should look out for in terms of OS, etc? Finally is the app itself any good as the Google Play reviews seem to vary wildly from good to terrible? Thanks all.

The reviews on both Google Play, and the Apple App store are all over the place - seems a lot of them are wireless/network connectivity issues, or "Why doesn't it do THIS!" complaints. I have it on my iPhone and have had no issues with it at all, other than the initial set-up. I tried to set up the account through my computer and the BMW Connect web site, but it would not save any personal details. Kept asking for them, but would not save any of the entries. However, was able to set up everything just fine, by launching and using just the App on my phone.

Patni1, This is a much bigger question. I would evaluate whether you go Android or Apple IOS on many more things than the BMW connected app. I am Apple, works fine. I suspect the Android version is exactly the same...
You are about to make a life changing decision :D
- go Apple where everything just works, designs are fab BUT you are “locked” into Apple and definitely pay a premium
- go Android where you get much more choice, because it is more competitive between manufacturers it is cheaper. Probably (as I am not Android) slightly different experiences across devices, slightly less consistent user experiences and slightly harder to connect and configure everything - so probably need slightly more technical ability.
My 72 year old mother has embraced Apple (Mac and iPad) and needs very little help from me - so a great benchmark on simplicity !!!
Cheers, Finchie

Having used both the ANdroid and iOS versions, they are very very similar - the feature lists of what it can do appears to be the same with slight display variations.

As to which OS is better, depends. If an app is available for your phone on iOS, it very likely works. THat's not always the case with Android. But, there are lots more apps available on Android than iOS.

I recently switch to iOS, not because the old phone didn't work, but because there was an app I wanted that was not available on Android. SO far, seems fine. Cost a lot more, though.

Back