DC Fast charging makes a difference?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i3Bev

As the subject shows, does it make a difference in terms of range and efficiency? First time I used it this morning at a public station. And for the first time, I noticed a difference in my range and battery consumption (shown below).

How I drove this time:
I started with 4th battery bar being at 1/8 level with 62 mile range showing in my instrument cluster, I drove 28 miles on EcoPro slow traffic for I would say 10 minutes in the freeway and did not apply the brakes but let go of the pedal and the indicator bar goes to the left (charge) numerous times and when I got home, I ended up with 56 mile range left. 28 miles of driving and the range only consumed 6 miles. The battery bar life indicator ended on the third bar at 50%.

Did I figure out how the i3 suppose to be driven or is it the DC fast charging?

NOTE: I was only able to retrieve one way of data since the app took forever to generate the data on my first trip.

Efficient.PNG

i3Bev said:
The only way DC fast charging might have improved your range is if your battery pack had been cold before charging and was warmed by fast charging. Otherwise, from the battery's perspective, electrons are electrons no matter how they were delivered.

alohart said:
i3Bev said:
The only way DC fast charging might have improved your range is if your battery pack had been cold before charging and was warmed by fast charging. Otherwise, from the battery's perspective, electrons are electrons no matter how they were delivered.

After driving 20 miles to the station (it was 6 miles out of my way home) I plugged it in right away and charged to 90%. That was it.

The predicted range is partially based on your previous 20 miles (or so) driving style.

So if you drive with hard acceleration on the way to the charger, then drive gently on the way back (eco pro) the predicted range will go up and/or it will appear to use much less.

I often see similar from having fun driving round town (trip showing 1.5 mi/kWh) with range showing 60 miles.
Then drive on a motorway at constant 50 limit for 20 miles, and arrive still with 50 miles or more range still left...

Back