Is the advance real time traffic for your I drive worth it.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mamaci3

The idrive maps and integration with the car is growing on me so I stopped using my phone for navigating. Just wanted to know if upgrading to the real time traffic for $70 a year was worth it.

Mamaci3 said:
Just wanted to know if upgrading to the real time traffic for $70 a year was worth it.
This might depend on where you drive. Here in Honolulu, ARTTI is usually old and outdated making its value questionable. ARTTI has warned me about traffic accidents ahead on multiple occasions, yet I have never encountered an accident, probably because the accidents had been cleared away before I arrived.

The same is true about the traffic indications (red - heavy, yellow - moderate, green - light). I frequently encounter red traffic that is flowing freely. As I drive along unimpeded, I watch the traffic indicator instantly change from red to green, probably because I wasn't stopped in heavy traffic. Obviously, this is of no value when this happens.

I have also been routed around supposed heavy traffic when there was no heavy traffic by the time I arrived.

This could all be because of a lack of good data from Honolulu. Where you drive, traffic data could be good.

It's fairly useful, but the free smartphone app Waze is usually more accurate. And free.

Yeah, it's not as nicely integrated as the built-in traffic on the built-in navigation, but if you have a newer i3 that supports Android Auto or CarPlay, you can use Waze on the built-in screen.

It is worth it to me and it is pretty up-to-date, so I just paid my second yearly subscription after my initial free one expired, but it is $50 here (USA) not $70.

Back