Car started with limited power

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mamaci3

Left the car outside in about 27 degree snow storm. Had about 60% battery and half Rex range. When I started the car the next day I I had half the power bar greyed out. Is this because the battery was cold? On a side note I spun out 3 times with the Colorado snow storm we had yesterday. Love the car but not the best in snow and ice

Did you put your foot into the spin outs? Snow tires on the car?

Was the traction control turned off?

We haven't had any snow yet but I expect that the car should be fun being rear wheel drive :D . Our other cars have boring front wheel drive.

The power reduction is strange with just a slight dip below freezing. Was the greyed out portion showing on the SOC gauge or the ePower curved gauge. Did you try starting the Rex to see if there was any change?

The power reduction was showing on the e power gauge. Just all seasons, traction control on. Spun out on ice, one was going slow downhill keep the accelerator on the middle to keep it neutral.

When I turn the Rex on it didn’t create any more epower. When the Rex ran out 30 mins later and I was driving for awhile I finally got some power back when coasting

When the batteries are cold or hot, the computer can limit the power available. Driving the car will warm them some as they discharge. It takes the REx about 10-minutes to warm up enough to then be able to produce full power. Until that time, it's not going to rev very high which means that it can't produce maximum power. When the vehicle is cold-soaked is the best time to consider setting a departure time so the car can warm things up. Try that, and see if you then have full power available when you start up...you probably will.

If you have the all-season, or worse, the 20" tires, or, their tread is getting thin or they're old, they don't have all that much traction in the cold let alone on ice. Tires aren't like a good wine that get better with age...more like a loaf of bread...great when fresh, gets old quick. IMHO, the i3 begs for a good set of winter tires when the temperature drops. I have the OEM Bridgestones, but when I replace them, assuming I still have the car, I'll put some Nokian R3's on it. Tried them on my ICE, and they seem to be a great tire for the winter. They beat the Blizzaks in every comparison test I've been able to find. The difference in traction with a good winter tire is day and night over a summer tire, and also makes an all-season tire look lame when the conditions get cold or slippery in the winter.

Back