Has Anyone Driven Both S and Normal i3 ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexMan

And can anyone compare ? what's the S like to drive by comparison, is it much faster, is it noticeable ?

Is the handling and steering better etc ?

What were your overall impressions ?

RexMan said:
Compared to a 2015 model, highway driving is significantly improved in a 2018 i3 Sport. Because of the revised suspension and wider tires, the car feels less flighty at higher speeds. The difference in city driving between the two is not as noticeable.

websterize said:
RexMan said:
Compared to a 2015 model, highway driving is significantly improved in a 2018 i3 Sport. Because of the revised suspension and wider tires, the car feels less flighty at higher speeds. The difference in city driving between the two is not as noticeable.

I'm currently driving the 120 Ah i3 BEV while my 94 Ah rex is in for service and I noticed the steering feels more "normal" less understeer, the steering in the 94 Ah is much sharper and I actually prefer it.

How did you find the acceleration in the S ?

The 120 Ah I'm driving has led lights and led high beams compared to halogen, they are the brightest lights I've ever seen on any vehicle ! :shock: I live in the sticks so it's really fantastic.

How did you find the ride, firm or rock hard ?

The difference in power isn't huge (slightly over 6%) and the higher top speed is sort of irrelevant for anyone in the US unless they take the car to the track. Note, none of the i3's can sustain that high of an output for very long...the computer won't allow it to keep heat in check.

The handling and 'looks' are probably the two biggest differences between the two. Note that the difference between an i3 BEV versus the REx version incurs a weight penalty of over 10%. So, in theory, a plain i3 BEV should have about the same performance as the i3s REx. To get the extra speed, BMW allows the motor to turn faster, which, if you were to use it a lot, would probably decrease its life. The wider tires/wheels and extra body parts makes the i3s even heavier, decreasing the differences in straight-line performance. But, if you want the looks without a performance penalty, the i3s should do it.

Drove both last spring, bought S. For city driving normal I3 is fine plus better ride over potholes and 19" wheels a little less susceptible to damage. For highway driving the S has better acceleration above 50 and steering/handling is noticeably better for quick maneuvers. Ride is firm and can be choppy due to short wheelbase but we consider it acceptable. If one considers the normal I3 ride to be firm the S might be too much but the pay off is sharper handling and better highway manners. If you live in northern climes the summer tires on the S are useless/dangerous for 5 months necessitating snow tires (BMW actually has a well priced snow set available). We do notice more wandering on the highway especially with crosswinds using the skinny snows vs the much wider S summer tires. Ninety five percent of our driving is 2 lane highway, no cities and no freeways up here so S fits best, you can pass without waiting for huge openings unlike the normal I3.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm hoping the Dealer will get an S soon for me to take out for a 24 Hr test drive.

Back