CCS stayed locked

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

After putting the car on the CCS charger, I locked the car and came back after the charging completed. But I could not release the CCS connector:
  1. Emergency charge stop on the fast DC charger - no effect.
  2. Pulled manual unlock - no effect. I had to use a pair of vice grip pliers to get a handle on the lower blue button to pull. Using quarters, unable to pry it out. I carry the vice grips to pull any tire puncture material out.
  3. Started calling for help and turned on the BMW i3 - CLICK, I could remove the CCS connector.
Speculation, when I locked the car, it locked the connector. When I returned, the car was powered down, no 12V. So turning on the car allowed it to unlock the connector. I will check with BMW to have them verify the manual over-ride, blue button is working.

The owners manual does not clearly show the two, override buttons:
Manual_CCS.jpg

The embossed patterns are ... obscure.

Bob Wilson

Those are not buttons per se, they are the handle of an attached blue plastic cord that activates the release mechanism. The holder can make it pretty tough to pull out.

The latch locks when you lock the car. It should release on its own IF the car gets fully charged or if you unlock the car.

On mine, the cord was misrouted, and could not be pulled...they had to take the fender off and route it where it was supposed to be. The latching pin also can get sticky. I've found that a spritz of lithium grease in an aerosol can into the latch every 3-4 months makes a big difference. On some, they slightly enlarged the hole the pin runs through to help prevent it binding. A shot of grease or WD40 doesn't hurt. Keep grease out of the electrical contacts and only into the latch, though. WD40 can go into both.

In my experience, the CCS unit controls connector locking not the i3. Most likely the connector you were using had some sort of mechanical failure since the emergency stop didn’t unlock it. (I’ve experienced CCS connectors that won’t lock but never the reverse.) BMW probably won’t be able to tell you much since your i3 isn’t the problem.

I had this happen to me, and it was the car. The car was unlocked, (someone stayed in the car the whole recharge,) and I assumed that if it was unlocked, the CCS would unlock automatically. Nope. I had to lock the car then re-unlock it to have it let go.

Sounds to me like the locking pin is sticking. A shot of grease in that hole may help. The pulse that locks or unlocks isn't constant...if things are sticky, it may be out of sync with where it wants the locking pin, so locking and unlocking the car will provide another pulse to move it each way.

The top one opens the door, the bottom one releases the latch on the charger. Don’t yank on it too hard, it looks like it could break easily.

https://youtu.be/1lIO8D3vruc

I returned to the fast DC charger but could not get a charge. It plugged in and the light around the charging port went from white to the yellowish orange. But the charger was unable to negotiate a session.

I'll take the car to BMW and ask they check the emergency release that did not work. Also, ask how to lubricate the charging port mechanism.

Does anyone have a photo or sketch showing how to lubricate the charger locking mechanism?

FYI, no problem with regular J1772 L2 charging.

Bob Wilson

I just put the nozzle of a spray can of lube in the hole above the connector where the latch mechanism is. WOrks for me. There's a small rod that moves to prevent you from pressing the release latch on the plug that sometimes can bind a little. WD40 seems to work, but doesn't last as long as a spritz of lithium lube. A little wd40 in the sockets of the receptacle doesn't hurt, either. It can flush out any moisture that might have gotten inside.

Thanks!

FYI, I worked with the City on the downtown, fast DC charger and they did every power ON reset. No joy. So we don't know if it is car or charger, yet. I put out a call for others to test the charger. Regardless, I'm taking it to BMW Thursday morning to have the manual release cable and mechanisms checked.

FYI, I also asked for volunteers to test the CHAdeMO side too.

Bob Wilson

This is what the BMW Service Center reported on Friday:
  • "CHARGER COULD COMM. WITH VEHICLE COMPLETED SHORT TEST AND FOUND FAULTS STORED FOR DC CHARGER COULD NOT COMM. WITH VEHICLE. COMPLETED TEST MODULE AND FOUND NO FAULTS WITH VEHICLE. CONNECTED LEVEL 2 CHARGER AT THE DEALER AND FOUND IT COMM. WITH THE VEHICLE. NO FAULT FOUND."
The next day, I drove to Nashville for another chore and using an EVgo charger, it wouldn't charge either. So back to the dealer on Monday with the following instruction:
  • "Get the fast DC charger to work."

Does anyone know of a BMW Service Center with a working, CCS charger? I see Atlanta BMW has a broken CCS charger.

Bob Wilson

Just got the BMW i3-REx back after, "SAME ISSUE AS LAST VISIT."

"CHARGING PORT FAULTY ON THE VEHICLE COMPLETED SHORT TEST ON THE VEHICLE AND FOUND NO FAULTS FOR DC FAST CHARGE. DROVE VEHICLE TO NEAREST DC FAST STATION AND FOUND IT COULD NOT COMM. WITH VEHICLE. FOUND A KNOWN GOOD I3 AT THE DEALER AND ROVE TO THE SAME CHARGING STATION. FOUND THE KNOWN GOOD VEHICLE TO CHARGE. COMPLETED PUMA 64662152 AND WAS PROMPTED TO REPLACE THE CHARGING SOCKET ASSEMBLY. CLEARED FAULT MEMORY AND DROVE VEHICLE BACK TO THE DC FAST CHARGING STATION. FOUND IT TO CHARGE AND COMM. WITH THE VEHICLE NOW."

"PLEASE PAY THIS AMOUNT 0.00"

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
Just got the BMW i3-REx back after, "SAME ISSUE AS LAST VISIT."

"CHARGING PORT FAULTY ON THE VEHICLE COMPLETED SHORT TEST ON THE VEHICLE AND FOUND NO FAULTS FOR DC FAST CHARGE. DROVE VEHICLE TO NEAREST DC FAST STATION AND FOUND IT COULD NOT COMM. WITH VEHICLE. FOUND A KNOWN GOOD I3 AT THE DEALER AND ROVE TO THE SAME CHARGING STATION. FOUND THE KNOWN GOOD VEHICLE TO CHARGE. COMPLETED PUMA 64662152 AND WAS PROMPTED TO REPLACE THE CHARGING SOCKET ASSEMBLY. CLEARED FAULT MEMORY AND DROVE VEHICLE BACK TO THE DC FAST CHARGING STATION. FOUND IT TO CHARGE AND COMM. WITH THE VEHICLE NOW."

"PLEASE PAY THIS AMOUNT 0.00"

Bob Wilson
Good job, Bob

Back