Self parking

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themass31

Ordered the Rex end of September and ordered it with the parking pack, finally got around to taking one for a test drive yesterday and wasn't greatly impressed with self parking.
Want to know if time constraints on our test drive were making us rush through testing this or is it not worth while.
Craig

In my experience, the first couple of times felt difficult--the pressure of quickly parking while other cars on the road were waiting made using it feel challenging and cumbersome. Having used it more, I don't have that feeling anymore and find it parks virtually as quickly as I would have myself.

With that said, we got it solely for the purpose of having parking sensors. I can parallel park near-perfectly every time on my first pass so felt it was unnecessary cost. I still think that is true, though the self-parking is certainly a neat party trick. Pride aside, it did manage to park into a space I would have struggled with myself as it was so tight.

It kept coming up park when driving down a chosen road then when I put indicator on and took hands and foot of controls and pressed the park button dangerous to park would come up. Tried it on a few spaces.

That could be what was happening yesterday it's the wife's car and she was getting up tight while trying to do it with cars on the same road and like you the front and rear sensors are probably the main reason for choosing that pack, shame they don't do the front and rear censors as a cheaper pack.

I can also park just fine but ordered the package because of the backup camera. Since I haven't received my car, can anyone tell me if the auto park feature works on both sides of the road? For example, if you are on a one way road, will it park on either side?

Ruffles said:
I can also park just fine but ordered the package because of the backup camera.
Me, as well. There might even be some extra side-facing ultrasonic range sensors included. I just wanted all the available hardware in hopes that future software updates might implement some cool, new capabilities using these additional sensors and camera.

Ruffles said:
Since I haven't received my car, can anyone tell me if the auto park feature works on both sides of the road? For example, if you are on a one way road, will it park on either side?
I haven't tried parking on the driver's side yet, but that's what's advertised. Just point the turn signal to indicate on which side you wish the car to park.

Ruffles said:
Since I haven't received my car, can anyone tell me if the auto park feature works on both sides of the road? For example, if you are on a one way road, will it park on either side?

Yes, the sensors search both left and right sides at the same time. The system shows when it finds either. It knows whether to park left or right based on the turn signal direction you set.

Ruffles said:

Yes! I've done it once. It was on my side of the road so parking to the opposite side was quite the distance--it lined it up perfectly.

For what it's worth, I used mine to park on the driver's side of a one-way street this morning. Very tight spot on a curve even. The i3 went in without a hitch. Parking sensors were at the edge of the red zones front and rear when it finished. Quite impressive.

Works on both sides, tried it a few times in Montreal. However, I would like to know if anyone scratched a wheel using this feature. Mine usually parks half an inch from the curb and I usually "abort" the parking mission because I always feel it will end up scratching a wheel. I would feel more comfortable if it was parking 2 inches from the sidewalk...

How close are yours parking?

I've yet to have the system ding a wheel. Let's just say it's record is better than mine. Based on my usage, I think the car aligns itself with the vehicles in front and behind. If the other cars are right on the curb, the i3 will be very close. If they're farther out, the i3 will be also.

Back