Speed display

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curmudgeon

So before I drove off the lot, the first thing I did was switch the system units into metric. Bizarrely, the speed limit is now displayed in BOTH mph and km/h. Since there's a choice, who would want that? (US spec here, I can see how this might possibly be of use in UK). How do I get rid of these pesky mph? I can't see anything in the coding params. My best solution right now is some black tape! Side note, they sure took the simplicity of that control display and cluttered it up with all sorts of things.

I've answered my own question.

Via coding, in BKOMBI, find TACHO_ENHEIT and change it to km/h_mph/km/h.

If in Settings, you have distance units set to km, then speedo will be in km/h only.
If you change Settings to display distance in miles, you'll get large mph + small km/h.

Hello!

I purchased a used REX from states and I'm lost on how to change the speedometer to kilometres. I have tried the 'units' under settings but it only effects the display of range and not the speedometer. Right now it shows speed in miles in big, bold font and kilometres in small numbers underneath.
I also took the car to BMW dealer in Vancouver - Brian Jessel BMW - but they were unable to help. The guy said something about the car having US software and it will most likely have problems if updated to Canadian version.
It think he just didn't know and made up and excuse but like to verify with experts here first !

We have a 2015 Canadian i3 REx. When we used to cross the border into the US we flipped between metric and imperial measure. Manual is kind of useless so here are our instructions: turn car on, go to main menu, settings, language/units, distance, select mi or km. This changes everything except electrical consumption which needs to be changed separately. Each key profile is stored separately so you may need to do this twice.

I purchased a 2014 i3 REX from a Toyota dealer in Victoria. I had to take the car over to Vancouver (Auto West) because the Recall Clearance letter had not been completed. This was necessary so the car could be registered with BMW Canada. During this service, they changed the miles/km display to just km. I believe this should have been done for you. I would contact BMW Canada to confirm, if you haven’t already dealt with this.

Back