psquare
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:57 am
Location: i3 REx, 225xe Hybrid UK
Contact: Website

Re: Software Update is 3.56.4.003

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 am

mindmachine wrote:100% disagree, if problems exist they should be fixed,and I have apparently a top notch dealer because I never have to wait for my car to be fixed.


That's why I said "unless absolutely crucial". I would also rate my BMW dealer as "top notch", but how many i3s does a dealership see for repairs at this point on average, ie how much experience do they have with "the living thing"?

On one hand, we're rejoicing about the fact that i3s need very little servicing, yet the flip side of this is that it means less opportunity to gain experiences on the side of the dealerships.

mindmachine
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Software Update is 3.56.4.003

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:10 am

psquare wrote:
mindmachine wrote:100% disagree, if problems exist they should be fixed,and I have apparently a top notch dealer because I never have to wait for my car to be fixed.


That's why I said "unless absolutely crucial". I would also rate my BMW dealer as "top notch", but how many i3s does a dealership see for repairs at this point on average, ie how much experience do they have with "the living thing"?

On one hand, we're rejoicing about the fact that i3s need very little servicing, yet the flip side of this is that it means less opportunity to gain experiences on the side of the dealerships.


Ok it sounds like we agree, probably the differences in the english language between the US and UK.

I would not call 1 kWh increase of usable battery as something that is "absolutely crucial" ! :roll: :mrgreen:

BoMW
Forum Supporter
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:22 pm
Location: Sherwood Forest

Re: Software Update is 3.56.4.003

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:48 am

My car went in on 23 Aug for a window fix but was then held back for the software upgrade. Because I was supplied with a courtesy car I wasn't too concerned but FIVE weeks later my car has been returned with the update which had to be carried out by another dealer 30 miles away!
My i3, collected 02/05/14---44000 miles by 30/05/16
SOLD 05/03/17 :(

psquare
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:57 am
Location: i3 REx, 225xe Hybrid UK
Contact: Website

Re: Software Update is 3.56.4.003

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:09 am

BoMW wrote:My car went in on 23 Aug for a window fix but was then held back for the software upgrade. Because I was supplied with a courtesy car I wasn't too concerned but FIVE weeks later my car has been returned with the update which had to be carried out by another dealer 30 miles away!


That's the sort of scenario I was thinking about.

Out of interest (I live in the Midlands), roughly whereabouts was the dealer "30 miles away"?

jadnashuanh
Posts: 3453
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:07 pm
Location: Nashua, NH USA

Re: Software Update is 3.56.4.003

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:19 pm

As I understand it, the i3 in the UK is sold direct from BMW and only at certain dealers. This means that a local shop may not be able to actually perform any or maybe only some service on the vehicle. In the USA, BMW does not sell the car direct, and any dealership can choose to sell the vehicle. Now, whether the local dealership opts to actually send many of its technicians for training, is up to them. Not all dealerships are certified body repair specialists, as that takes a different level of training and commitment to tools and facilities. This could account for differences in response time to a problem between the two different markets. FWIW, Canada (at least initially) does not sell the i3 everywhere...it is limited to certain areas, and if you opt to buy one and live in an area where they are not directly supported, it can be problematic getting service outside of those areas.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

psquare
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:57 am
Location: i3 REx, 225xe Hybrid UK
Contact: Website

Re: Software Update is 3.56.4.003

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:16 am

jadnashuanh wrote:As I understand it, the i3 in the UK is sold direct from BMW and only at certain dealers. This means that a local shop may not be able to actually perform any or maybe only some service on the vehicle.


I absolutely agree. And while -especially while EV motoring is in its early stages- this is understandable from a dealership perspective, it can sometimes lead to disappointed customers. It would be great to have a repository somewhere to tell customers where to go for a body work repair, for example. Saves time and hassle going to the wrong place and then having the car transferred after a week of fiddling.

Lincsat
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:17 am
Location: UK

Re: Software Update is 3.56.4.003

Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:49 am

psquare wrote:
BoMW wrote:My car went in on 23 Aug for a window fix but was then held back for the software upgrade. Because I was supplied with a courtesy car I wasn't too concerned but FIVE weeks later my car has been returned with the update which had to be carried out by another dealer 30 miles away!


That's the sort of scenario I was thinking about.

Out of interest (I live in the Midlands), roughly whereabouts was the dealer "30 miles away"?


Can't speak for that case but can say that Soper of Lincoln did an update on my car prior to delivery in January 2015

BoMW
Forum Supporter
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:22 pm
Location: Sherwood Forest

Re: Software Update is 3.56.4.003

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:32 pm

psquare wrote:
BoMW wrote:My car went in on 23 Aug for a window fix but was then held back for the software upgrade. Because I was supplied with a courtesy car I wasn't too concerned but FIVE weeks later my car has been returned with the update which had to be carried out by another dealer 30 miles away!


That's the sort of scenario I was thinking about.

Out of interest (I live in the Midlands), roughly whereabouts was the dealer "30 miles away"?


Leicester.
I bought my i3 in Stoke on Trent but was happy to hear that
last month, nottingham had become an i dealer.
My i3, collected 02/05/14---44000 miles by 30/05/16
SOLD 05/03/17 :(

BoMW
Forum Supporter
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:22 pm
Location: Sherwood Forest

Re: Software Update is 3.56.4.003

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Lincsat wrote:
psquare wrote:
BoMW wrote:My car went in on 23 Aug for a window fix but was then held back for the software upgrade. Because I was supplied with a courtesy car I wasn't too concerned but FIVE weeks later my car has been returned with the update which had to be carried out by another dealer 30 miles away!


That's the sort of scenario I was thinking about.

Out of interest (I live in the Midlands), roughly whereabouts was the dealer "30 miles away"?


Can't speak for that case but can say that Soper of Lincoln did an update on my car prior to delivery in January 2015


There is now an update that supersedes JAN 2015
My i3, collected 02/05/14---44000 miles by 30/05/16
SOLD 05/03/17 :(

Lincsat
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:17 am
Location: UK

Re: Software Update is 3.56.4.003

Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:58 pm

BoMW wrote:
There is now an update that supersedes JAN 2015


I believe there have been a couple and I'm hoping to get one when my car goes in for the sunroof QE on the 22nd. I was told the upgrade to fix the off-peak charging issue was supposed to be available last Month but the service reception claimed there was no update available whatsoever and I know that's not true.

Incidentally, how do you find the actual software version, is it the HMI version you can see on the screen by pressing and holding the trip button?

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”