The mythical perpendicular parking function...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rurali3

Lots of showcase videos from BMW of i3's doing all sorts of clever parking manoeuvres at CES etc., and beyond the series 7 various forums suggesting other newer BMW's have the perpendicular park capability... However, my 94ah (UK model - delivered in January this year - 2017) only seems to support parallel parking.

What is the official (or even unofficial) line on production i3's supporting perpendicular parking etc. in the UK?

I think of this as a teaser...you have to have something new on upcoming models to make it seem fresh. I'd expect that this feature may show up on the next MY. If I remember, that next MY may also have yet again, a larger battery pack. From what I've read, though, rather than just being more dense energy, the pack is also slightly larger, so that will require some additional changes to the vehicle. ANd, with a larger battery pack, you may want to support a larger charging circuit and charging rate, both for the EVSE and the CCS units, adding further to the required changes.

Back