How to remove the BMW i3 door skin

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mito

Just replacing a broken wing mirror and removed the interior door card only to find that the mirror seems to screw onto the door frame with no obvious way of doing it from the inside so I assume it's done from the outside by removing the outer door skin. Does anyone know how to get the door skin off?

I haven't looked for the i3 but realoem.com has expanded views of BMW's. I don't know if they have included i3's or not.

Edit:
Just checked. i3's are included. Something like this
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1Z23-USA-05-2013-I01-BMW_i-i3_60Ah&diagId=51_9184

You should go to the home page and search for your exact model.

There is a small black plastic cover over the door panel, approx 1"x3". Once you pop it out you will see the bolt for the mirror.

Bawareca said:
There is a small black plastic cover over the door panel, approx 1"x3". Once you pop it out you will see the bolt for the mirror.

The bolt is actually for the frame of the front quarter light and not the mirror. The mirror is held on by 3 bolts with a 30 Torqx and hex head. Two of them are behind the square door cap but the third one is down in the door hence why you need to take the door skin off to get to it.

Pre requisites for taking the door skin off.

Remove lower trim from mirror where it comes close to the door skin.

Remove door top weather strip ( this may bend it beyond re use ) tricky corner section

Remove door handle by undoing ( not completely removing ) Torqx 20 screw recessed 2" into door behind outer grommet in adjacent door shut.

Have a set of " one time " clips ready to refit the door
The clips will be left in the door when you take it off.

Basically yank the door from the bottom to pop the skin off and then lift to disengage the top channel.
They are made to be specially brittle so that they fracture off and fall into enclosed box sections in the door to rattle around and annoy you and all future owners for evermore when you try and remove them, so stuff a rag into the u shaped box section that the bottom of the door is made from to prevent this. Better still tape over the hole with aluminium tape to prevent other items entering in future.

Part number 51007355279 qty 7 needed 76p plus vat from your dealer
I have greased the new clips to aid removal in future ( may be required to adjust door handle that is flapping about due to poor design )
They look similar to other door clips so you may be able to get away with others.
Budget about 2 hours to do a proper job and remove all the broken bits of clips which will need fishing out with tweezers or removing the screw adjustable mountings ( but remember to mark their position first )

I have pictures of this process but I can't post them as the site restricts this.

Back