Replacement wheels and tires

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted99

I think that all of us would rather replace our tires with something other than the OEM tires, but we are hampered by sizes that are specific to only the i3, and there are no signs of another supplier coming on board. It's possible that the deployment of the i3 in some police depts for admin duties may generate a demand for replacement tires that encourages another supplier (I suspect that the fleet users will be just as dissatisfied as we ordinary people). In the interim, we should all be aware of possible wheel replacements for another size (say 18", with a taller sidewall) that may allow another fitment. Obviously, the narrow OEM wheels are an impediment, but it may be that slightly wider wheels with a different offset might work. Anyone discovering alternatives please post here. I see that the Tire Rack is listing a stock-size alloy replacement wheel, but they still use the OEM tires.

Just saw a listing on E-Bay for a Pirelli CINTURATO A/S in size 155/70-19. Unfortunately the tire ships from Italy and costs twice what the Bridgestone tires cost in the USA.

This at least shows that other manufacturers are making tires for the i3. If someone has an in with a Pirelli dealer try to find out is it available to special order.

Archie

BMW usually tries to have at least two suppliers in case something happens, and to play them each off against each other for pricing. I'm pretty sure they probably asked others, but given the anticipated volume, there were no other takers. There is an alternative if you want a winter tire (Nokian), but to this date, I had not heard of any others. There is some real benefit to the low-rolling resistant design of the stock tires. As the fuel efficiency standards keep ratcheting up, more suppliers will come up with ways to improve their designs, and we'll likely start to see some choices. It costs a fair amount to make molds for a 'new' tire size...then, you have the variations from the staggered setup verses the square ones, and, you don't really want different brand/models on the front/rear, so that in reality, means you will need to support two different sizes (not counting the 19-20") wheel sizes. Kind of hard to justify for a small volume. The more out there, the sooner it becomes a viable business case.

Read through this forum. Someone (Bob Wilson? Sorry if I got that wrong) is doing exactly that. He also has a nice chart of tire temps inside to outside after driving.

I informed the Tire Rack about the Pirilli tire and asked if they could add it to their inventory. I told them that many owners were unhappy with the OEM tire they stock. Others should make their own inquiry to provide more encouragement. No reply from TR to my question, yet.

The Mercedes C class wheel uses the same bolt pattern and center diameter, but offset varies. It would be great if we could find a wheel/tire combo that would work on front and back.

I'm going to be in Italy in Sept and will try to bring back a set--anybody know if there is some "DOT" legend that has to be on the sidewall for a legal USA import? I noticed on Google that the tire is mentioned in UK tire sale sites, but labeled "unavailable".

Back