My windows roll all the way down automatically after parking

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theothertom

2017 REx. After parking and exiting the car, the windows spontaneously roll down after some time (maybe and hour or two). The car is unlocked in my garage and when I return I find the windows rolled all the way down.
Anybody else seen this and if so is there a "setting" fix or do I need to go back to the dealer?

theothertom said:
2017 REx. After parking and exiting the car, the windows spontaneously roll down after some time (maybe and hour or two). The car is unlocked in my garage and when I return I find the windows rolled all the way down.
Anybody else seen this and if so is there a "setting" fix or do I need to go back to the dealer?
Two thoughts:
  • Key fob stored where unlock button can be pushed.
  • You are being scanned by a key fob break-in thief.
Regardless, the solution is to store the fobs in an RF box so they can not be triggered and activated. If you are using just one key fob, consider taking the battery out of the spare.

Bob Wilson

Thanks Bob,
I keep the key fob in my front pants pocket. I suppose it could have twisted around somehow and the unlock button was pressed. I'll keep it out of my pocket and see what happens.

Assuming you have comfort access, pick up the key fob cover from BMW, and install the fob in it backwards. This protects the buttons, so it is much harder to accidentally press the unlock button long enough to open the windows. Note, if you have the default setting in I-drive, if you don't open a door, it will relock after a delay.

We just took delivery of our new 2017 and my wife had the same issue.
The windows were down after being parked in the garage for an hour or so.
Her pocketbook is legendary for the amount of stuff crammed in there so an accidental key fob press is the likely cause.

Has anybody found a eSys setting that can be changed to disable this feature, i.e. the windows do not go down on/after a long keyfob button press ?

I had the same thing happened to me. I arrived home and bent down to pet the dog and the windows on my i3 all rolled down. That is when I learned about holding the unlock button rolls the windows down.

Back