Drive Train Error Malfunction

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrivvy

Has anyone had to get their 2014 i3 towed due to a Drive Train Malfunction. Very disappointing. I bought it and 3 weeks later I am getting towed to a dealership because the car would not even go to neutral or start. First car I ever owned in 25 years that had to get towed. And it is a BMW?? I still can't believe it two days later while waiting for it to be repaired.

While not particularly common, infant mortality issues do occur. I wouldn't lose heart. Now, if it continues to happen, then, you have reason to be annoyed and concerned. As with anything made by man, it's not perfect...it did work for 3-weeks, so it's not like it could have been discovered before delivery...it was working!

Jrivvy said:
Has anyone had to get their 2014 i3 towed due to a Drive Train Malfunction. Very disappointing. I bought it and 3 weeks later I am getting towed to a dealership because the car would not even go to neutral or start. First car I ever owned in 25 years that had to get towed. And it is a BMW?? I still can't believe it two days later while waiting for it to be repaired.
Quite a few owners of i3's, especially REx models, have reported being towed due to a Drive Train Malfunction error. BMW's don't have the good reliability reputation of Toyota or Honda, so just because it's a BMW doesn't make it particularly reliable, especially for the first year model of a totally new car, a 2014 i3.

Unfortunately, many BMW dealers don't seem particularly capable of repairing an i3 quickly, and BMW itself doesn't seem to be particularly good at parts management with far too many i3 parts not being available within North American thus requiring shipment from Germany.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all problems will be fixed before our warranty expires.

Back