Trailer Hitch Wiring?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastring

Does anyone have a pointer to a trailer hitch wiring kit that will work with an i3? I'm not looking for opinions on wiring it up or on towing, just on the kit. Not sure if the tail lights plug is the same form factor and wiring pin layout as another BMW and I can just order another BMW model kit.

Caravanning in England is a big, popular deal from what I can tell. I checked the place where I bought the wiring harness for my GT to see if they had one for the i3, and no...they do not (www.rightconnections.uk). This leads me to believe one or both of these two things: there's not enough demand for one, or, it's so different from other cars, that nobody wants to try. Well, the third is, the car really isn't designed to tow anything. Some use a hitch to carry a bike or similar device, but I've not heard of anyone actually towing anything with an i3. One reason why I sought out that company for the GT was they were the only solution that automatically shut off the rear PDC sensors and enabled the built-in trailer stability program in the car when you plugged something into it. The US dealers won't/can't program that, and the factory solution available elsewhere, requires not only the electrical installation, but reprogramming as well...theirs enables the logic automatically.

Back