i3 and flooding

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonb

Hi guys,

In recent weeks the roads around me have been quite flooded and in my current 5 series, it has glided over the top no problem in the deep water.
Has anyone heard of how well the i3 can handle water and flooding? esp as the batteries are on the floor. I know it rides higher than the 5 series but still a bit concerned.

Looking forwards to getting mine in july!

Simon

There's a testing video showing the battery pack fully submerged but I know what you mean, there's definitely concerns about driving an EV into flooded roads.

There's a paragraph about it in the handbook. I can check later when I'm back home but I'm fairly sure it says do not drive if water depth is above 25cm (10").

Plug said:
There's a testing video showing the battery pack fully submerged but I know what you mean, there's definitely concerns about driving an EV into flooded roads.

There's a paragraph about it in the handbook. I can check later when I'm back home but I'm fairly sure it says do not drive if water depth is above 25cm (10").

Ah, you have the actual handbook. Which seems only to be available in a paper version, and thus only readable by those of you lucky chaps who actually own an i3.

Is there any chance the rest us i3 wannabes could persuade you somehow to scan your owner's manual and share it with us on this forum? I'm sure that would be a total pain in the ass to do. But it would earn you innumerable good karma points - perhaps enough to assure you that your own i3 will never run out of charge even when you drive well past its theoretical limit?

Thanks for even thinking about doing this.

Hi tiburonh,

I'll send you a PM to explain why I can't really do this (apart from the fact that it's 220 pages long :)).

On the plus side, I did see a post recently on the German i3 forum saying that there is now a BMW i3 app on the Apple store which contains the manual in pdf format. You can access it without needing a VIN but apparently is only available in German at the moment. I'm guessing that the English manual will be appearing fairly soon and I'm sure when it does someone will spot it and post about it here.

Regarding the OP question, I checked the handbook and the water depth limit stated is 25cm.

Back