Anyone here using the portable Jesla EVSE? Is it worth it?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrancisAi3

I ordered a portable Jesla a couple of weeks ago since I want the portability and to maximize the i3's charging rate.
Unfortunately, seems that parts are hard to source from Tesla recently so I haven't received my order yet.
I travel a lot to cycling charity events and want to take an EVSE that can be used with 14-50 outlets and 120V in emergency. And that's where the allure of the UMC comes in. A high-capacity EVSE that's flexible with input voltage.

But, I'll be traveling every weekend beginning this weekend through the next 6 weekends and the places I stay at either have 14-50 connections or have campgrounds nearby. I got this weekend covered but now am tempted to just buy the Clipper Creek LCS-30P as it looks about the same size as the occasional use EVSE that came with the i3.

Am I going to be missing a lot with just buying the LCS-30P as opposed to waiting on the Jesla?
  • * Let's ignore the 120v/240v argument for now
    * 24A vs 30A doesn't seem much
    * Plugs - I can always make an adapter from 14-50 to 14-30 or even 10-30
    * Cost - over $400 difference
    * Availability - Jesla, unknown. LCS-30P, I can get in 2 days in time for my trip (don't need to borrow my friends EVSE)

To be honest, I'm really trying to find a compelling reason to wait on the Jesla UMC :)
So those who has one, is the Jesla UMC really worth waiting for? I know, EVSE is EVSE, or was it electrons is electrons (hahaha!) :D
Or even if you decided on not going for it, would like to hear your comments.

Thanks in advance

Don't know the details, but BMW just announced a portable 120/240vac EVSE...it may or may not be a good buy. It may end up being a rebranded unit from one of the current manufacturers, and you may pay a premium for having BMW's name on it. You'd want to carefully compare specs.

Newer than the Turbocord? Gonna have to look into that. I agree, it may carry the BMW premium.

I didn't consider the Turbocord since its exactly the sane specs as the EVSE that came with my wife's Volt, 3.3-3.6Kw at 240vac.

The JuiceBox has a slide-out mount that makes it easy to take off the wall in one's overnight parking space and place in the frunk in preparation to travel. It's not as compact as the Jesla but it's considerably less expensive. It will vend up to 40 A, so it will charge an i3 at full speed unlike the LCS-30P or Turbocord. With the proper adapter, it can be used for Level 1 charging at 120 V or Level 2 at 208-240 V.

alohart said:
The JuiceBox has a slide-out mount that makes it easy to take off the wall in one's overnight parking space and place in the frunk in preparation to travel. It's not as compact as the Jesla but it's considerably less expensive. It will vend up to 40 A, so it will charge an i3 at full speed unlike the LCS-30P or Turbocord. With the proper adapter, it can be used for Level 1 charging at 120 V or Level 2 at 208-240 V.

I'll echo Art - I love my Juicebox as well! I can fit it, various adapters, a 50' 12/3 extension cord and a 2 gallon fuel tank in the Frunk.

The only con with it (that also applies to the Tesla UMC/Jesla) is that there is no way to set it for a lower amperage manually. with the Juicebox Pro version you can kinda via the app, but that would require you to reconfigure the juicebox for the local wireless network before being able to do so...I did this at the destination at my last long trip, but would be really annoying if I had to do this daily...

I suppose if you really wanted to maximize charging speed and will only encounter 220v 50 amp (max 40 amp sustained) and 220v 20 amp ( max 16 amp sustained) circuits equally, and you didn't want to be troubled with changing the EVSE output settings and money wasn't an issue - perhaps consider getting both a Juicebox and a Turbocord - you'll be able to fit both in the frunk with their adapters and good extension cords if need be. In the event one of them fails, both are capable of automatically switching to Level 1/ 120v 12amps when plugged into a 120v source.

Art/EVBob

Ah Juicebox ...... haven't looked at it closely. Will do so now since it's relatively compact and is a viable option. If I can't get the Jesla this week or even later next week, I might start looking into other options.

As for manually adjusting the current cap, I think with the UMC, all that's needed is to switch the plug to 14-30 and if the wall receptacle is a 14-50, i just need a 14-30R to 14-50P adapter. From what I read, with the UMC using a 14-30, it will tell the car charger to limit the current draw to 24A. And one of the reasons why it's on top of my list. Unless I have misunderstood what I read.

Since the EVSE that came with my wife's Volt can handle L1/120v and L2/240v at 16A, that's what I'm using now. And from your suggestion, I can have both the Juicebox and the Volt's EVSE in the frunk.

All EVSEs send out a pilot signal that announces to the vehicle how much current it can provide. How that signal changes could be automatic based on the plug you power it from, or it may take some internal adjustments, or might be available via a WIFi connection. But, if you can't either adjust the vehicle so it won't draw more, or the EVSE to announce something that really relates to how it is powered, you could end up blowing a fuse or the circuit breaker feeding the EVSE. Based on the pilot signal, the vehicle decides how much power, up to the announced maximum, it will take at any one time. It could easily be less, but should never be more if everything is working properly.

Back