DIY Oil Change

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjjhr

Dear all, has anyone changed the oil in a Rex themselves? Or watched a dealer do it? I'd be very grateful for any images or URLs which show how to remove engine cover and where to access sump plug and filler. Thanks in advance

Hi
I see that nobody has responded!
I am in the same position as you, and would like to change the oil and filters myself. Assuming it would be that difficult once I get it up in the air!
Did you manage to get the job done?

Hello, I got it done by my local mechanic (in London). Gave him all the videos and manuals I found online, and spoke to the head of workshop at a BMW garage before doing it. BMW said "none of our technicians touch an i-car unless they've been high-voltage trained" (implying that I'd kill myself) but in reality, just avoid the BRIGHT ORANGE CABLES! It's just a 2-cyl 660 cc scooter engine under a cover ffs! Undo the 8 torx screws on the composite engine cover under the boot floor, the oil filler neck is clearly visible. Warm up rex, put on ramp and drain as usual.Takes about 20 mins. Cost me £160 instead of £560 (ok, without £150 of BMW "inspection") including BMW parts and £60 of labour. The car is pretty sophisticated at self-reporting any faults, and you can check bushes, shocks, brake pads and discs, tyres and lights yourself.

No. I changed the engine oil in a rex. Gearbox oil should be straightforward with a ramp.

Not REX, electric car! I have two cars. One has a jam on the reducer, the other does not.
Which oil should be poured?

I have a 2014 Rex with 60000+ miles so my free oil changes are over. I've searched the list and found some postings on DIY oil changing. I don't think it would be very difficult, just would need to get the right oil and filter. The other thing is that my display shows that this was due in June. How do I reset the display notification once I do change the oil? Any tips out there? I appreciate any advice.

Neil

Good video here that show where the REX refill cap, sump plug and filter are located. A lot of the video shows the steps with a generic ICE, but this clearly shows where to locate everything on an i3.
https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2017_BMW_i3_Range_Extender_0.6L_2_Cyl./oil/change_oil_and_oil_filter

Neil said:
How do I reset the display notification once I do change the oil? Any tips out there? I appreciate any advice.

Neil

Neil,
Looking at one of the online service manuals it may be possible to reset the CBS using the iDrive menu.
This link details the steps required for an engine oil service.

-Tim

Back