iOS ConnectedDrive status: what is “efficiency”

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainABCD

My iOS app updated recently and forced me to sign back in.

In the app now, under status, it shows “Efficiency: 50%” and I don’t recognize this measurement from the Android app I used since May. Maybe it’s alaYs been on the iOS app but today is the first day I noticed.

2015 REX, cold weather in Chicago so I’m getting 4.9-5.1mi/kWh and recuperation on the last drive was 6.1mi/kWh.

Thoughts on what 50% stands for?

I assume that efficiency is similar to that made more transparent in the iRemote app in which one's recent driving efficiency was evaluated based on several criteria such as consumption, recuperation, climate control system usage, etc. In iRemote, one could see which area might need improvement to increase one's driving efficiency. In the Connected app, the efficiency number is displayed with only consumption and recuperation values displayed without any indication how efficiency is computed.

I cannot explain the difference between your 50% efficiency and my recent 85% efficiency based on your good ~5.0 mi/kWh consumption compared with my 4.5 mi/kWh. However, your 6.1 mi/kWh recuperation is very low compared with my 62.1 mi/kWh which might be part of the explanation. You must have been driving in urban traffic with lots of regeneration which is less efficient than my higher recuperation value due to my using very little regeneration on this drive, half at 55 mph on a freeway without much traffic with the remainder at a steady 45 mph with almost no stopping or decelerating rapidly en route.

Aha! Makes sense to me.

I rarely break 35 mph in my i3. 5.0mi/kwh is low, I usually get 6+ in warmer weather. Lots of stop signs I coast up to.

Thanks for the reply!

I rarely break 90 mph in mine

Just looked up my efficiency: 38%
Thank goodness, I have the REX model.

But it runs and works great.
I also have the large battery.

Very quick in traffic

Took the highway today instead of the side roads to see what I see.

Consumption: 2.8 mi/kWh (I did NOT precondition)
Recuperation: 62.1 mi/kWh
Efficiency: 45%

I didn't attempt to manage efficiency at all, but I will try next week to see what I can do to get that number up.

CaptainABCD said:
Recuperation: 62.1 mi/kWh
Hmm, your recuperation was identical to mine. Connected reported exactly the same recuperation on the same drive that I completed last night. 62.1 mi == 100 km, so I'm guessing that Connected's maximum calculated recuperation is 100 km/kWh regardless of how high one's recuperation might have actually been. I never noticed this maximum on iRemote, but it might have existed.

Last Ride
11/10 7:52 AM 18 min 6.2 mi

Efficiency 91%
Consumption 5.5 mi/kWh
Recuperation 10.4 mi/kWh

Except my drives on Friday, 11/10 were
1) ~11:00 AM - to laundry
2) ~11:20 AM - to cell phone store
3) ~11:30 AM - back to laundry
4) ~12:10 PM - to fast food place and downtown
5) ~12:30 PM - plugged into fast DC charger
6) ~1:00 PM - home via BBQ shop

So I have no idea with this last ride business is about.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
Last Ride
11/10 7:52 AM 18 min 6.2 mi
There's a bug in the current iOS Connected app that displays the Last Ride time in GMT, not your local time zone. Converting the time to that in your local time zone might help clarify what is considered the Last Ride. I have assumed that it's the trip that occurs since the car was last put into drive readiness mode, but maybe it's time-based.

No problem. I was recalling my trips on Friday.

I need to go to post office so I'll use the trip meter and record the trip. Then compare it to the reported metrics.

Bob Wilson

Back