Tyron safety band

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

Hi,

A Goggle search revealed: http://www.tyron-usa.com/multiband/

It is a band fitted to the wheel inside the tire that keeps a deflated tire from leaving the wheel. Yes the deflated tire is subject to further damage but the rim would be protected from running on the pavement. On a BMW i3 it could mean reaching the next town or if in town, the dealer.

Apparently this is a UK product and known in the motor home community. It looks to be:
Approximate Fitted Price
2 wheels fitted with Tyron Bands £160.00 (~$216.00)
Extra wheels £ 70.00 (~$95.00)
Source: http://www.tyron.co.uk/why_tyron_caravans.htm

So for ~$406.00, all four wheels become run flat.

Any experience with them? Thoughts?

Bob Wilson

If the tyre has a simple puncture, why drive on it when flat? The info on the i3 will alert when the tyre pressure has lost pressure.

A puncture repair is cheaper than replacing a tyre...

I33t said:
If the tyre has a simple puncture, why drive on it when flat? The info on the i3 will alert when the tyre pressure has lost pressure.

A puncture repair is cheaper than replacing a tyre...
My last flat tyre was a gash on the side wall, unrepairable. Yet it were held on the wheel rim, I could have used it to reach the BMW service center without risking the rim.

Bob Wilson

Ok. Maybe it might work, or maybe not. When the tyre is flat and you have to corner, do you know that the band will protect the rim? I'm doubtful...

How many punctures and how many sidewall gashes occur? Mostly punctures I think, so if you drive on a flat punctured tyre it will overheat and will be sent to the bin.

The band might be a good idea during a puncture event, but probably not a good idea to drive any distance on a flat tyre.

Here is what Tyron says:

It provides a short run-flat capability so you can choose a safe place to stop and change the wheel.

I had a conversation with the USA representative:

Thanks Chuck for the phone call. This is what I took away:

1) You are looking at a band for one of the BMW i3 wheels . . . a work in progress.
2) Current estimate is $400/wheel in the USA.
3) There are safety certifications involved with this product which impacts schedule and cost.
4) Your business plan is to offer it via BMW dealerships.

If something changes, feel free to contact via email or the postal address in the first note.

Bob Wilson

Back