Does the motor drive and regen braking have some different Modes ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanisLupus

What I've noticed during Brake Regen is that there seems to be different modes that the system will use and I will suggest that it's dependent on a combination of the pedal position and the current speed . With the pedal in the same Regen position , different speed ranges seem to have different modes . During a long braking , interior fan off and music off , you can hear the mode changes which sound similar to gearing down . My first idea is that the number of stator windings in use will change as necessary or as engineered for the specific scenario/state . Does anyone know how many stator windings the motor has ? It could be a number with many even fractions like 12-6-4-3-2 .

The position of your foot on the accelerator pedal absolutely affects the overall operation of the motors from accelerating, to steady state, to coasting, to increasing amounts of regen. I'm not certain, but I think this can all be accomplished by altering the phase of the acv signal applied. Then, the computer will also ramp the action up or down to alleviate some of the potential shock. FWIW, it was much stronger and more abrupt when first released. One of the s/w updates changed that, also limiting the maximum regeneration available.

Thanks Jim . This has turned into a great learning adventure . I've learned a lot about the design and engineering behind motors and generators and I'm sure that there is much more to learn still . It's all very interesting . The number of PM poles , stator slots , windings that turn from one direction to the other . It leads me to my next guess . Might our motors be using what is called a 3-phase Y , or maybe a 2-Pole . My guess about the 'Y' is because of the 12 PMs creating 6 North and 6 South in the Rotor and what looks to be 18 directional changes in the Stator wiring on the side opposite to the wiring connections . Thanks for your help in understanding this very interesting subject .

Back