Adding Android Auto / Aftermarket Info System

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVMan

Hi,
While the i had 95% success with voice commands with the latest BMW IDrive in other BMW latest cars , in i3 , its close to 0%.
It keeps asking me for the street address, state etc ...., when i say point of interests.
Also , not sure why , it hates the 5 meter road near my house, and recommends me to do a square , which adds 1 mile extra ( longest route)

In sort , i want to completely leave alone and bypass the original systems, and install my own add on Android auto type systems , in the car
Any suggestions , of any good options out there.

Like install a 7" type android tablet, and fix it at a good location .
I noticed there are some transparent screen devices also available, which can be kept in the front, and they connect to the phone...

Any suggestion are welcome
Thanks

I have been pondering this idea as well.

There are two items on thinkverse that utilize the cup holder mounts, to mount a tablet or phone but really would prefer the screens to be eye level or close to.

Thinking about this for a while, I came up with two ideas on placement above the dash...

Idea 1
Mount the tablet right above the nbt/nav screen.

Pop the two plastic screw covers off the back of the nav screen. Take one of the screws out and take it to the home improvement store and buy a longer version x 2. Cut out a tablet holder out of wood or 3d print a holder or modify an existing tablet holder to mount to those 2 longer screws in the back of the nav screen. Run the power for the tablet to the 12v socket under the dash. Downsides of this idea, relies on data connection from your phone for live traffic data, that will probably not auto initiate nicely. Also depending on tablet dimensions, will get in the way of your field of view.

Idea 2
Pop out the most right top dash panel (on a left hand drive i3). Drill a hole in it and mount a strong goose neck type phone/tablet holder. Downsides of this idea, drilling, and this may look like Crap...

Back