mirror your phone screen on iDrive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oleksiy

Hi, I assume this is not available on i3, is this correct? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvZerYFFPU

Are there other options that are more affordable than the SmartView HD?

So whats the objective ?
without touchscreen, the mirror does not add to much value while driving,
if u want to watch move , just use a tablet

Just to mirror Google Maps on the screen while driving, it often saves me up to 30 min in my daily commute since I'm able to maneuver around traffic jams. Would be happy to get rid of my phone holder mounted on the windshield I have in my car now once the i3 arrives. The latter has a great screen, but can't go online in my country, and I'd prefer Google Maps to the built in iDrive navigation app anyways. It looks like there is no Android Auto support either, so screen mirroring is the way to go.

I have the same problem, and was thinking installing a add on tablet for android auto.
I guess i will install a good phone mount and charging cable . lets see what location will work out best

An i3 owner has posted on the i3 Facebook group, I believe, that he has discovered how to mirror a smartphone's screen on the navigation display. I don't recall the details, but additional electronics are required. I believe that the different aspect ratios of the smartphone and navigation displays distorted the display of the smartphone's screen which made it not very appealing to me.

Thanks, that’s probably BimmerTech SmartView HD Flex they used, I alluded to it in my first post. This device is way too overpriced at $600 from my perspective.

I’m wondering if there are any other sensible ways to accomplish the task. What is the iDrive version of 2015 i3? Is it upgradable? People here http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f2fee2ddacd9fba8b28f691479686e61&p=21195661#post21195661 say that ScreenCast (Miracast?) could be coded starting from ID5 system.

Back