Why was the DC charging at Level 2 speeds?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipabit

I was at Peter Pan BMW today using their Chargepoint DC charge. To my surprise, I came back to the car 20 minutes after bumbing a free latte from their customer lounge to see it only got 16 miles from zero. Waited another 20 minutes and I was at 37 miles or so. Not nearly what it was supposed to be. I've used this charge station before and 2 others on other occasions w/o issue. 80% charge or so in 30 minutes as it's supposed to. This time, it was charging at level 2 speeds.

The BMW guy there was zero help. He was too lazy to even get the ChargePoint card to swipe it so I can remove the plug. What did he do instead? He pushed the emergency button! Ugh, that's pretty lazy.

Anyway, wondering if it's the car setting or the charger that's charging DC at Level 2 speeds. The car settings only show Level 1 and Level 2 available and both are at "Max". I don't recall ever seeing a DC or Level 3 charging in the settings but it was able to charge at those speeds nonetheless. Thoughts?

There is no DC charging limit in iDrive as there are for AC Levels 1 and 2.

The DC chargers that are at BMW dealers are typically ~20 kW chargers instead of the 50 kW U.S. public DC fast chargers. So the DC chargers at BMW dealers are typically much slower than public DC chargers.

If the charging speed of this DC charger is slower than it has been, it could be due to a fault in the charger or your battery pack's temperature being too high or too low which seems unlikely at this time of year.

Both the battery's temperature and the CCS unit's temp can affect how fast the car can charge. IF either one is hot, things will slow down. On some CCS units, there are multiple power supplies, and one of them may be bad or overheated, limiting the output.

BMW promoted a 25Kw CCS units as being both less expensive to buy and needing less infrastructure to install, but I do not know if ChargePoint bought any.

Back