BMW nav map update.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shrink13

BMW i3 Nav Map Update. Can someone please tell me the current update for the national maps (2018 or 2019) and for the regional maps for CA (2018-2)? Is anyone receiving OTA updates for their regional maps on their 2018 i3? Thank you.

Shrink13 said:
BMW i3 Nav Map Update. Can someone please tell me the current update for the national maps (2018 or 2019) and for the regional maps for CA (2018-2)?
Several months ago, I installed what I believe is the current version, 2019-1 NEXT, on our 2014 U.S. i3 with the professional navigation option (larger display) included in the Tech Package. The standard navigation (smaller display) uses a format different from NEXT; I don't know the latest version of that format.

Thanks for the reply Art and for the information. Can I ask you where you got the files to do the update? Did you download them onto a USB or did you purchase a USB?

Thank you.

Shrink13 said:
Thanks for the reply Art and for the information. Can I ask you where you got the files to do the update?

https://www.facebook.com/download/421367031688361/Road%20Map%20North%20America%20NEXT%202019-1.7z.torrent?hash=Acr2zWA7cP6XV2lo

Shrink13 said:
Did you download them onto a USB or did you purchase a USB?
Downloaded the torrent file using the above link, downloaded the map data file using the BitTorrent desktop client, decompressed the map data file, and copied the top-level files including the directories named "1", "2", "3", and "4" to a FAT32-formatted USB drive at least 32 GB in size. If macOS is used, hidden files that macOS writes to each directory would need to be deleted before ejecting the USB drive (I use a Unix command that does this).

It's probably wise to scan the torrent and map data files with anti-virus software, especially if using Windows.

tman66 said:
Doesn’t he need a FSC code as well?
Maybe so, maybe not. I bought a lifetime FSC code a couple of years ago and haven't needed to enter one with each update. If we sold our i3, the next owner wouldn't need to enter an FSC code to update the nav maps. I have read of other i3 owners who have updated their nav maps without entering an FSC code. It's not clear to me when they're needed or if they are still needed. He'll find out when he tries to update his nav maps. If he needs one, he can buy one on eBay.

I guess I should've tried updating before buying a lifetime FSC code and 2019-1 map update on eBay. It didn't cross my mind and at $35CDN I was like, "man thats cheap" lol..

Thanks very much for all of your helpful information Art. I was told that my 2018 i3 runs the EVO Map Type that comes with 3 free years of over the air regional map updates. The 2018's also come with a 3 year FSC code from the factory. The current version of the EVO map is 2018-4 and there are 4 updates each year, as opposed to the Premium and Next versions that have a current 2019 version.

Again, this is not from BMW, but from a person who seems very well versed in BMW map updates.

Thank you.

Earlier this summer i installed 2018-02 Map, bought it from the website with FSC code BUT was never prompted to enter it!!

The new maps show street view after reaching destination(rarely works though, guessing due to slow 3G speeds)

i3Houston said:
The new maps show street view after reaching destination(rarely works though, guessing due to slow 3G speeds)
I updated to 2018 maps about a year ago and have never seen a street view (maybe there are none in Honolulu). I assume that street view is like that offered by Google maps. I don't believe that Google provides the i3's nav maps, so I wonder who supplies the i3's street view.

alohart said:
i3Houston said:
I updated to 2018 maps about a year ago and have never seen a street view (maybe there are none in Honolulu). I assume that street view is like that offered by Google maps. I don't believe that Google provides the i3's nav maps, so I wonder who supplies the i3's street view.

Street view started showing after 2019-01 iNext update. I dont know if images were from google but looked similar to google street view.

Back