Hello am I a Dc fast charger?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loux

Hello probably a stupid question but please give me grace I’ve not even been a i3 for a full 24 hours yet :)

I just took possession of my new to me i3 and I’m wondering if I do indeed have a dc fast charger like mentioned in the docs. I opened the bottom cover where the dc fast charger is located and I can see metal pins when I look into the connector. Does this indeed mean I have the dc fast charger? Or is there a better way to find out if I have one? Other than plugging in at a dc charger, which currently is not very close.
Thanks

The receptacle for CCS charging in the car will have two caps. If you only have one, your car does not have that functionality. The EVSE that comes with the car will fit into the top. A CCS unit will fill both the top and bottom parts.

You can put your VIN into one of the decoder websites, and it will list all options in your vehicle, but in this case, it's just easier to look at it.

Welcome to the group. To add to Jim's post, CCS is the fast charger connection. Like Jim said, if you have two caps in the charging port, you have CCS or fast charging.
Fast charging was an option on 2014 models but was standard on 2015's and greater. So if you have a 2015 model or greater, you automatically have fast charging. If it is a 2014 model, you may or may not have the fast charge option.
For what it's worth, I thought fast charging was a big deal when I bought my car. But, since I use it mostly for around town driving (like the car was designed to do), I mostly charge at home using the supplied 110V charger. Yeah, it takes a while if the battery is low but I could always install a 240V home charger (also called a level 2 or L2 charger).

Yes, I do have a 2014 and yes I do have two caps. So that must mean I do have the option! Glad to hear that. While yes this is mainly just a around town car I like knowing it’s there when needed.
Thank you all!

Back