Pre-conditioning behavior

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrinsfi

I have a 2104 BEV with a Level 2 Charger at home. I have the car set up to charge during the low tariff period of 8 AM to 5 PM. The car is always plugged in when at home. I have a daily trip to the clinic at 7AM so I have a departure time set for 7AM with pre-conditioning selected. The outside air temperature is about 45F. How much before departure time does the battery conditioning begin? How much before departure time will the cabin conditioning begin? Will these functions honor the low tariff setting or do they override that restriction?

Thanks in advance for your help

Jim

Jim,
If you haven't seen this article its a required read for i3 owners:
https://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-preconditioning-works/

In my experience, the start time for the battery precon is temperature dependent... so if its super cold then it might need the full 3 hours, if its not then it might start only 30min from your departure time (as I have noticed mine do while parked in my garage).

The cabin usually starts about 30min before departure.

As for whether these 2 functions will honor the tariff time, I don't believe they will. The tariff time only applies to charging, precon of the battery an/or cabin override that timeframe.

Correct me if i'm wrong i3 folks!

Back