Regenerative braking on snow or ice

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSATLBA

I tried the Genius text Q&A system for an answer to this but drew a blank and am waiting for a human reply from BMW. I guess those in colder climates will already know the answer from personal experience.

My question was: how does the i3 regenerative braking work to prevent rear wheel lock up when you release the accelerator (gas pedal!) on snow or ice? Does it simply limit the regen braking so you don't slow as quickly as expected, does it bring the front brakes on automatically or does it use both front and rear brakes to give the normal deceleration, provided there is enough traction? I've driven the i3 and ordered one but the thought came to mind as soon as I set off in my current car this morning in slippery conditions as I live in a street which slopes slightly downhill to a T junction! Also in normal 'one pedal' driving it would be a little scary to lift off and find the car not slowing down or worse still locking up but I'm sure the electronics must prevent that somehow.

Roger

RJSATLBA said:
I tried the Genius text Q&A system for an answer to this but drew a blank and am waiting for a human reply from BMW. I guess those in colder climates will already know the answer from personal experience.

My question was: how does the i3 regenerative braking work to prevent rear wheel lock up when you release the accelerator (gas pedal!) on snow or ice? Does it simply limit the regen braking so you don't slow as quickly as expected, does it bring the front brakes on automatically or does it use both front and rear brakes to give the normal deceleration, provided there is enough traction? I've driven the i3 and ordered one but the thought came to mind as soon as I set off in my current car this morning in slippery conditions as I live in a street which slopes slightly downhill to a T junction! Also in normal 'one pedal' driving it would be a little scary to lift off and find the car not slowing down or worse still locking up but I'm sure the electronics must prevent that somehow.

Roger
The regenerative braking works with the traction control to prevent slippage. I have done many tests with my MINI-E and ActiveE on icy roads and the systems work great. You'll be very hard pressed to get the car to have any slippage, even on ice covered hills.

I agree with Tom, but rear wheel drive and non winter tyres can get the traction control light to illuminate especially with rear wheel slippage uphill on slippery surface.

Hi

Thanks for the replies, it's good to hear so much confidence but it must be a weird sensation when the traction systems restrict regenerative braking and you have to hit the brakes to bring the real brakes into play, especially the front ones and especially downhill. I'll post again if I hear BMW's response.

Roger

Back