window tinting opinions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sardoc

What is everyones opinion regarding window tinting to help reduce heat build up in summer. Does it degrade visibility much?

It somewhat depends on which product you choose. Some can achieve very good results without filtering out most of the visible light transmission. Some do a good job of UV blocking.

The one I've been using on my last couple of cars is 3M's Crystalline tint. It's a composite of about 200 layers, blocks essentially 100% of the UV, and a larger quantity of IR than nearly anything out there at the same light transmission level...IOW, you can achieve good results without having to go super dark. It is a little thicker than most, and can be tougher to install, but it can be done. A side benefit is that it contains no metallic layers, so does not affect your radio reception or cellphone operations. Tints that use organic dyes or metallic compounds don't always work well long-term - the organic ones can get bleached out somewhat, and the metallic ones can be an issue. It also happens to be the only one endorsed by the AMA.

I purchased window shades so then I have the option to remove them when necessary. They are for the I3, fit great and the Amazon seller did a good job at price and delivery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RPJV9A4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I never liked windshield covers so I had 3M ceramic tint installed on my ICE car and it is must have if you live in a hotter climate, although its expensive, I think its absolutely worth for the comfort it brings.

Since I bought i3, it came with no tint at all and I was going to get ceramic tint installed but after the very first week i never felt the need of it because the remote conditioning. My car is always cool when i get in, so there is no need to have ceramic tint at all.

Secondly, ceramic tint would not be as effective unless you get it on the windshield(Its huge, while i3 windows are small)

Thirdly, it does not prevent car from getting overheated(just like the windshield cover).

But on the plus side, it does protect interior from UV light!!

NOte that with the size of the i3's windshield and its curvature, combining that with the thickness of the 3M product, it can be tough to get it installed there. But, if you do, it does help.

Back