Car seat covers?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericblz

Let me start by saying I have two kids under the age of five...

I opted for the cloth seats figuring they might be possible to repair versus torn leather.

Has anyone found car seat covers that would look decent and fit well on these seats? Your help is appreciated!

ericblz said:

I opted for the cloth seats figuring they might be possible to repair versus torn leather.

Has anyone found car seat covers that would look decent and fit well on these seats? Your help is appreciated!

Same question from me. A neat cover would be great. I have half and half, but the cloth has already had minor spillages which are hard to remove.

Thanks

I talked to this place: http://www.seatcoversunlimited.com

and they will have custom i3 seat covers in about a week.... you can call them to order one now too.

I found that the recycled fabric does not handle water stains that well. I am not even sure what got on the seat but when my dealer tried to clean it, it did not work well. In fact it lest a much larger water mark ring around the stain (stain was unknown cause too), and so they sprayed something on it again and brushed it more... Still can see regents of both water mark and stain... they order me a new seat cover...

"The textile seat covers consist of nearly 100 % recycled polyester, which is manufactured from up to 34 % PET. A high-quality cover material is manufactured from this PET material in a special process and gives the material a natural look and feel while fulfilling all the requirements placed on a premium material. The other textiles used in the interior such as headliner, floor, floor mats or the luggage compartment trim are also produced sustainably. In addition to its characteristic design, it also makes a functional statement through the natural benefits: breathability, moisture- and temperature-regulating."

Thank you for the lead!

Which fabric and color did you choose? Nothing against zebras but I didn't see anything that seemed to be that clean and smooth look I was hoping for.

Eric

ericblz said:

I have had leather seating for many years now, like ,maybe 40 years and never had any torn leather issues. Really!!!! Torn leather????? I think you shoud have gotten the leather and saved your money for covers for your cloth seating. Rea;;y where did you come up with the idea that the leather would tear??? Leather is way more durable than cloth!!!!

Though not particularly helpful, I appreciate your opinion.

I did a lot of reading on the BMW forums about the different materials, especially the Sensatec. There were a lot of comments on each side. Being that I ordered months before actually seeing one in person, I did my best. Please feel free to insult my choice of Laurel Grey for the car as well.

Back on topic- www.carid.com is planning to have some covers in a month or two (~September).

ericblz said:
Though not particularly helpful, I appreciate your opinion.

I did a lot of reading on the BMW forums about the different materials, especially the Sensatec. There were a lot of comments on each side. Being that I ordered months before actually seeing one in person, I did my best. Please feel free to insult my choice of Laurel Grey for the car as well.

Back on topic- http://www.carid.com is planning to have some covers in a month or two (~September).

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/BMW-I
"Function Cover" $125
The goofy web description only gives a HINT that this cover works the other way round: over the rear seats--by saying there are "holes for seat belt use". I have used BMW pet rear-seat covers for years on my 5 series and though expensive, (~$250) they are beautifully made and tailored and a snap to install, remove and clean.

This seems a little less tailored, but I am down to only one Newfoundland now, so he should be fine on it. It'll be here this week and I'll report back with decent pics.

Looks like the seat covers are available now. I am not excited about the fabrics but having them send some samples. Takes 3-4 weeks to stitch them up and get them to you.

http://www.seatcoversunlimited.com/

This is your chance to get a storage pocket on the back of your seats...an extra $10 I think.

mindmachine said:
ericblz said:

I have had leather seating for many years now, like ,maybe 40 years and never had any torn leather issues. Really!!!! Torn leather????? I think you shoud have gotten the leather and saved your money for covers for your cloth seating. Rea;;y where did you come up with the idea that the leather would tear??? Leather is way more durable than cloth!!!!

Wow....I think a little less caffeine is in order.

kevinb61 said:
mindmachine said:
ericblz said:

Wow....I think a little less caffeine is in order.

Well really torn leather, give me a break. Geeeezzzze! I don't use coffee!
You know but then again my kid was raised to behave, today parents seem to think discipline is a bad.thing.

I've always had vinyl or cloth so just went off what I was reading about repairs. I was also considering possible scratches and worn corners that can happen, children or not.

As there has been other interest in car seat covers I think some may find benefit from the information people are contributing. Perhaps you could restrain from posting on this thread unless it is useful.

ericblz said:
Looks like the seat covers are available now. I am not excited about the fabrics but having them send some samples. Takes 3-4 weeks to stitch them up and get them to you.

http://www.seatcoversunlimited.com/

This is your chance to get a storage pocket on the back of your seats...an extra $10 I think.

Thanks Ericblz for the seatcover tip. I ordered them last night along with a dashmat from Dashmat.com. I was going to get the smoke covered sheepskin imitation ones but my lovely wife insisted they would look "smooshed" down in a matter of short time and wanted me to get the sport ones with black sides and a blue middle to match the blue in the car. We'll see if her wisdom proves aesthetically pleasing.

I also got the "shower cap" which is the cover that goes over the middle armrest. I have 2 new miniature schnauzers and they already want to stand their front paws on the center armrest so I think a cover is a good idea.

I will try to post pictures when I get them.

Hi there ericblz - how did the black & blue car seat covers from seatcoversunlimited.com work out? Our daughter has just grown out of her car seat and we need to protect the rear seat from her & her after school snacks. I've looked in the UK and there aren't any suppliers for the i3 over here but the site you used will ship to over the Atlantic for $50. Would you recommend them & did the blue go with the i3's blue?

Thanks

I'm the glad the info is helpful!

Do people like the dash mats? I've been wearing polarized sunglasses in the car which seems to cut the glare a lot but always looking for the best option.

Here are what I use my backseat, I only got seat covers for the front.
http://www.target.com/p/munchkin-car-seat-protector-black/-/A-535337

Thank you for your post, I'm not sure how it came up after all this time.

My issue is that I have the cloth seats. I have been very pleased with the car seat covers and just ordered replacement seat only. They're easy to wash and as the kids have aged there are fewer and fewer spills and Cheerios mashed around.

I will not buy cloth again next time and will not cover leather.

ericblz said:
Because this is his first and only post, the post is possibly just to promote the wheelstip Website.

alohart said:
ericblz said:
Because this is his first and only post, the post is possibly just to promote the wheelstip Website.

Indeed, if you do a Google search for segments of that post, you can find it verbatim WITHOUT the spam link dating back 4 years in another car-oriented forum. So the spammer just copy/pasted a vaguely-appropriate looking few paragraphs, and inserted their spam link.

Back