More aftermarket wheels

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldcj7

These have just appeared on Tire Rack, don't seem available in Europe yet...

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?autoMake=BMW&autoModel=i3&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=Tera+World

Goldcj7 said:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?autoMake=BMW&autoModel=i3&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=Tera+World

I've ordered these with the winter tires. Delivery is scheduled for 10/29. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I have them on the car. :D

The BMW winter package is less expensive, but the TireRack wheels, at least from the pictures, seem more stylish. Probably not as aerodynamic.

jadnashuanh said:
The BMW winter package is less expensive, but the TireRack wheels, at least from the pictures, seem more stylish. Probably not as aerodynamic.

Indeed; the BMW package uses the base wheels and Bridgestones, of which I am not fond (cheesy tires in my experience on bikes and cars). I hope Michelin catches up....

Tom,
be good to see some pics, assuming you've gone for black? I'm thinking of getting a set for summer and using my dustbin lid 427s for winter. Did you buy the TPMS sensors as part of a package?

Paul

TomMoloughney said:
Goldcj7 said:

I've ordered these with the winter tires. Delivery is scheduled for 10/29. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I have them on the car. :D

Interested to see weights of the standard wheels as well as the aftermarket. Can you please weigh them Tom?

There is a thread on bimmerpost regarding whether the standard wheels are cast or forged and the answer from the BMW guru is
"all i3 wheels are forged"
That might be good news for weights of the standard wheels.

http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1045819

At least for now, the only company that makes tires in the size required for the i3 is Bridgestone, at least that I've been able to find. That may change. This applies to the all-seasons, summer performance, and winter tires.

My preference on tires leans towards Michelin as well, but at least for now, that's not an option.

How about purwheels.com?

bmwi3purlx1203.jpg

Looks good, but 3 piece forged wheel? Probably not too cheap!

I33t said:
How about purwheels.com?

bmwi3purlx1203.jpg

Looks good, but 3 piece forged wheel? Probably not too cheap!

These are attractive, especially the blue nuts (see my attempt at blue wheel powder coating in the custom upgrade/accessories page here)--at least to old-technology eyes. They look very much like late 1980s M5 wheels. Visiting PUR's site, these LG 03 models have more of a modern--almost i3-pinwheel-shaped) spokes. http://www.purwheels.com/wheels/wheels_detail/legacy/LG03/53

My concern for buying after-market wheels (for northern NYS winters etc) is their corrosion and paint flaking as a result of salted roads.

These pictured wheels would be fine for summer but I'd hate to expose them to winter here and try to clean them.

The BMW winter package uses base wheels which appear to be car-wash friendly and very "hybrid/electric car" me-too-dreary in design, like every other slab-spoked hybrid wheel.

On the bright side, I'm guessing that engine braking produces less brake dust to accumulate on wheels and therefore they would naturally appear to stay cleaner (especially silver versions).

Are i8 tires different size from i3 tires? Will they make an improvement in ride or handling? Will an i8 wheel and tire package fit an i3? Will i8 tires fit i3 rims?

WoodlandHills said:
Are i8 tires different size from i3 tires? Will they make an improvement in ride or handling? Will an i8 wheel and tire package fit an i3? Will i8 tires fit i3 rims?
Yes they are different, they only come in 20" (well, there maybe an optional larger one - stock is 20"), 7.5 and 8" wide (the i3's are 5 and 5.5"), thus, the tires on the i8 are wider. Probably not enough clearance, and no idea of the differences in offset, so they could stick out (wider than the wheel well is illegal) and change the track and load on the bearings. Just guessing, but probably not a viable swap.

WoodlandHills said:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/i/i8/2014/showroom/technical_data.html

Wheel sizes range from 7.0 x 20 to 8.5 x 20, tyres 195/50 to 245/40

No, the tyres are not interchangeable on i3 rims and probably the wheels aren't either. Even if they fitted the hubs you could expect extensive rubbing and fouling of the guards during turns.

I’ve been doing some measuring of i8 tyres (on the early-model 7j and 7.5j rims). With 25mm spacers, the i8 wheels will fit an i3.
The front wheels are the tight fit, the coil springs only have 4mm clearance using a 190 tyre.
I have aftermarket springs which are shorter but +4mm diameter. I’ll be running 45psi pressure F&R.

The body will need 25mm arch extensions to only just meet legal standard.

I haven’t found any unmarked i8 wheels at the right price yet, I’ve fitted the lightest 25mm spacers (with +20mm extened bolts) as a basis for measuring.
The i8 wheels have 130/135mm backface offset, I put this into AutoCad scale drawing and the fit is OK.
Choice of tyre-brand is critical because tolerances vary +/- 7mm depending on sidewall profile.

I’m expecting a slight increase in rolling resistance, but not dying on damp-twisty roads is worth the range-hit.
With wider rubber, the traction control won’t kick in so much, which should improve the 0-60.
I hope the motor-mounts don’t give up.

Back