Dark colored headliner

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jelloslug

The only thing that has bugged me about the Tera interior is the white headliner/A pillar upholstery with the dark brown/ black interior. On just about all other BMWs there are choices on headliner colors and materials. I decided to take this in my own hands and reupholstered the headliner/A pillar in dark brown Alcantara fabric.

New%20headliner%201.jpg

New%20headliner%202.jpg

Looks like you did a good job. Personally, I much prefer a lighter cabin - it seems more cheerful, and doesn't get as hot in the sunshine. Whatever floats your boat...

jadnashuanh said:
Looks like you did a good job. Personally, I much prefer a lighter cabin - it seems more cheerful, and doesn't get as hot in the sunshine. Whatever floats your boat...
I like the lighter color headling with the Giga and Mega trims, it goes well with those interiors.

dculber said:
nice, did you do it yourself of pay some one?
I did it myself. I can post part numbers for all the black bits and helpful hints if anyone is interested.

jelloslug said:
I did it myself. I can post part numbers for all the black bits and helpful hints if anyone is interested.
That looks fantastic!

Where are you located, can I pay you to do it (since I'd just mess it up?) :D

arlorose said:
jelloslug said:
That looks fantastic!

Where are you located, can I pay you to do it (since I'd just mess it up?) :D
South Carolina.

CaptBreadbeard said:
jelloslug said:
dculber said:
nice, did you do it yourself of pay some one?
Yes, please do.
Part
grab handle 51168052674 black
console trim 61319249564 black
coat hook 51168059315 black
microphone cover 51448047526 black
i3 sunvisor L 51167377675 tan
i3 sunvisor R 51167377676 tan
Mini sunvisor L 51169812697 black
Mini sunvisor R 51169812698 black
sunvisor clip 51169808690 black
sunvisor screw cover 51162754557 black
AIRBAG cover 51437903774 black
headliner 51447275677 tan
A-pillar left 51437376213 tan
A-pillar right 51437376214 tan
expanding rivet 51447384759 tan
expanding rivet 51442756902 Black (Mini Cooper part)

Black interior 335i VIN WBA3B9G56ENR90592

Some explanation: if you want to save your existing parts buy extras of the i3 parts. You will need the black MINI Cooper sunvisors for the black lighted mirrors. The 335i VIN is needed for some BMW part sites so they will let you order for the "correct" car. I ended up dyeing the i3 sunvisor mount and pivot. I could not find a black equivalent in the BMW or MINI product line.

Wow, what a great job. If I end up buying the car at the end of the lease I will definitely be doing this. I miss my black headliner in my e46 ZHP :cry:

The trickiest part is the sunvisors. You have to CAREFULLY separate the two halves with a very sharp scalpel. After you upholster each side you then have to glue them back together.

Wow, impressive work! Any estimate on the number of hours this took, not counting research time?

I don't mind my Tera with light colored roof. My E46 was the same way with black leather and light gray upper.

spinball said:
Wow, impressive work! Any estimate on the number of ours this took, not counting research time?

I don't mind my Tera with light colored roof. My E46 was the same way with black leather and light gray upper.
The visor took about 3 hours total, the headliner took several hours over a few days and the A pillars took about an hour for both. I spent several hours figuring out the part numbers and finding a place that actually sold the alcantara.

Geeeeez, that looks sick. Great job!!
Had to register to post this :D

Would you know how to remove the kenaf dashboard ? I would love to add alcantara to the kenaf.

Hi There! Stellar job on upholstering the headliner in that beautiful dark brown alcantara! I’m in the USA, on Cape Cod, which means I don’t have easy access to car mod shops, or stores.

That being said, did you order your brown alcantara fabric online? Would you be willing to provide the store purchased from, brand name of fabric, color name, and quantity of fabric purchased?

Did you completely remove the original headliner, including foam backing, down to the fiberglass shell, or did you use an alcantara without foam backing, and apply it over the original material?

I am seriously interested in performing this mod on my incoming (in production now) i3s in Capparis White with Tera interior.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can and are willing to provide!

Nice job. I tried it on my E92 once and it did not turn out well... had to have a shop re-do it. Toughest part is stretching around the dome light and it looks like you got that perfect.

If I had a darker interior I would be doing that. Maybe still will find a light grey Alcantara and try again. Where did you purchase the fabric?

Back