Turned down siren volume?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericblz

I'm interested in turning down the volume of the alarm and the acoustic arming sounds.

Has anyone replaced their siren? Or should I just covered with tape or similar? I suppose first I need to find it!

Thanks for any advice.

I'm assuming you want it to just be quieter when locking and unlocking, as making it quieter during an actual alarm would seem to be counterproductive...you want it as loud as allowed to distract the perpetrator and maybe alert others to the problem! Personally, I just turn the confirmation beep off, as I find it annoying and disruptive to my neighbors. I read that in Germany, it's illegal, so they probably don't worry about how loud it is during normal operations! Car alarms are marginally effective, but personally, I'd leave it as designed to garner what protection it can provide.

I do like the acoustic alert but have it turned off to maintain friendships with my neighbors.

(The lights are set to flash but don't seem to flash when I arm the car, yet they do when I disarm. The dealer is clueless on that one.) SO... I would like to turn down the acoustic alert volume but hear it arm when I walk away from the car.

Further, I have false alarms during the day because of the motion sensor getting hot, so if I forget to press the alarm button twice I have that noise to contend with so I wouldn't mind the alarm being quieter since it is outrageously loud right now.

What's this about the motion sensor getting hot? The car should stand up to desert heat without the motion alarm going off.

spinball said:
What's this about the motion sensor getting hot? The car should stand up to desert heat without the motion alarm going off.
Maybe he's leaving a window cracked open to vent the interior a bit. An open window can cause the motion sensor to fire the alarm.

Yes, the window is usually cracked as the A/C leaves a lot to be desired. I do agree that the window causes the majority of the false alarms, but either I forget to hit the button twice or it doesn't register sometimes.

BUT - on another post I read about FEDEX wireless devices setting them off. Sure enough, yesterday it went off and the FedEx man was parked right next to it.

So I would like to turn the alarm down to a low volume or muffle it. If someone could direct me to the location I'll attend to it.

Also, where is the sonic sensor? Maybe I'll shield it with something.

FedEx setting them off? :eek: Did you read that on this site?

To my knowledge there's nothing special about the i3s alarm vs any other BMW.

Probably an old bump...but try looking into european sirens. I know for my e46 they had eurospec sirens that had a limited dB to comply with laws there.

Coding can change the tone of the chirp, is this what your looking for? I changed mine and now it doesn't alert the dogs when I come in after a midnight shift in the garage. Here is the text from a screen shot I took from the FB group, I used these settings and now I have a quick "chirp" it is a more quiet tone and quicker than stock.

"FZD
-- 3001 LIN- SINe
--- Buzzer Frequency
--- Buzzer Duration try 04 (0a 10 is default)
--- Buzzer Volume Level - Try 01 (03 is default)

On Frequency FF and Duration )) the sound doesn't appear, but a clack instead from under the car with FE and 01, its completely silent

FZD 3001 LIN_SINE Buzzer Level High and Low Initwert, level_3 level_10 (MAX) try 01
FZD 3001 LIN_SUNE Buzzer Frequency Werte = 8F Min~7D Max AF
FZD 3001 LIN_SINE Buzzer Duration Werte = 0A Min 01 ~Max FF"

Arm/disarm chirp volume - successfully lowered it using:

Buzzer level low, Ausgelesen, Werte=00
Buzzer level high, Ausgelesen, Werte=00
Buzzer frequency, Ausgelesen, Werte=7E
Buzzer duration, Ausgelesen, Werte=04

Hope this helps others- it is much more pleasant now and I prefer it to being silent.

I am very interested in this, too! I have it currently turned off. Before I go look for my old ODB2 cable, few quick questions, to be sure:

Are these all in the module called FZD?
Buzzer frequency is to be 7E, not FE as imolazhp suggested?
Buzzer level low and high both set to zero?

Thanks, bunch,

PS. Is there any way to quiet the ticking sound of turning signal? My wife hates them and I have to remember not to use the turn signal at the stop while she is in the car.

jayl00 said:
PS. Is there any way to quiet the ticking sound of turning signal? My wife hates them and I have to remember not to use the turn signal at the stop while she is in the car.

Apparently everyone's wife hates them, because nobody uses their turn signals in California, especially BMW drivers.

Yes, those are the values we ended up with for a very quiet chirp. We had to experiment as some settings would not seem to work well such as only chirp on disarm. I'm not an expert on this, had help and was careful to document. Of course I would have you write your current values down before changing anything.

Buzzer level low, Ausgelesen, Werte=00
Buzzer level high, Ausgelesen, Werte=00
Buzzer frequency, Ausgelesen, Werte=7E
Buzzer duration, Ausgelesen, Werte=04

Back