Anyone selling used i3 rims or know of cheaper rim options?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brorob

I am leasing an i3 for 2 years and would like to get a spare set of rims for winter tires. I've been driving AWD vehicles with Blizzaks for several years so I'm convinced that winter tires are a necessity for safe winter driving in MI.

If anyone has a set of used rims that they would like to sell, please message me. I would also consider a cheaper new rim option if anyone knows of any deals. Dealer wants about 1800 for a complete winter wheel setup and looks like Tire Rack is around 1400 without TPMS sensors, which adds around 250. I don't mind running the tires without the sensors but I'm not sure if that will cause problems or constant warnings. Would like to do this without breaking the bank since I'm only leasing for 2 years.

Also, does anyone know if the Nokian snows available in the US? I love the Blizzaks but would like to compare the tires if the Nokians are available here.

Thanks for any info. I'm loving the i3 so far. Drives great and my work provides a level 2 charging station so charging is convenient.

www.nokiantyre.com shows lots of dealers in Michigan, and they list the R2 on the website, so I'd guess that it is available, but there should be one fairly close you could call to verify.

Some people have reported finding the winter tire package for about $1400 or so, but I do not know if that is delivered, which could add a bit more. One reported that he felt the tread compound was quite soft which is good for snow traction, but not necessarily for wear. Too new to tell for sure. I've liked the Nokian tires I've owned in the past, but when I bought mine, it was not available for the i3, so I got the factory OEM set.

Leasi3 said:
The BMW winter tire solution (four pieces of P/N 36112349580) is hard to beat price wise. Includes wheels with mounted/balance Blizzaks, TPMS sensors and center caps.

http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/in...0+&make=BMW&action=oePartSearch&siteid=214672

BAV Auto (today with 10% sale showing) is even a bit lower ($1277.84).

Thanks for the info! That's a fairly good price for the combo. I'm having some difficulty finding specifics about that P/N on their website, not sure if it's browser related or that they don't list full details on their site. I'll check this out during the week on a different computer.

I also looked up Nokians on the Nokian site and it looks like I can work with Discount Tire for these. Reading a few comparisons between the Nokians and Blizzaks, I am now leaning towards the Blizzaks because of the cost and for the fact that they don't wear as quick as the Nokians. I've been very happy with my past Blizzaks, especially with the way they wear, so I'll probably stick with that brand.

An advantage of buying the OEM set is if you have an issue, they are still covered by the BMW warranty. I had an issue with the aftermarket TPMS on a set I bought from TireRack, and BMW wanted me to buy OEM ones. They worked for 3 years, then started to become flakey...think their batteries were going. FWIW, they originally thought TPMS batteries would last maybe 100K miles, but are now finding that isn't always the case...sometimes the battery can fail in as little as 50K miles or even less. At least where I live, a failed sensor means a failed state safety inspection, so you have no choice but to replace them.

What does not make sense to me, is that if you price out the wheel itself that comes with the BMW OEM i3 winter set, the wheel, without center cap, tire, or TPMS, retails for over $500 US. In theory, you could part out the bits at the end of your lease and might be able to make money, or at least not spend much. Looked at in that way, buying the set is a bargain.

Leasi3 said:
The BMW winter tire solution (four pieces of P/N 36112349580) is hard to beat price wise. Includes wheels with mounted/balance Blizzaks, TPMS sensors and center caps.

http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/in...0+&make=BMW&action=oePartSearch&siteid=214672

BAV Auto (today with 10% sale showing) is even a bit lower ($1277.84).

Not sure which part you referenced but I inquired about the P/N above to get more information and was told I need a different P/N, 36112357088, which ends up costing more (including the $195 shipping) than what my local dealer quoted me for a winter set. This is for a 2015 i3 REX.

brorob said:
Not sure which part you referenced but I inquired about the P/N above to get more information and was told I need a different P/N, 36112357088, which ends up costing more (including the $195 shipping) than what my local dealer quoted me for a winter set. This is for a 2015 i3 REX.

You are correct. I ordered the part number I gave in my post (way back in July, trying to beat a price increase), but tires/wheels I was shipped are marked with the part number you gave me.

There was a pretty dramatic price increase on these over the summer. In the spring of this year they were under $300 per each (before shipping).

39az5JD.png

Does your winter setup consist of 4 wheels that are the same size? I'm confused why some i3 models have 2 different tire/rim sizes while others have the same size all around.

Yeah, looks like I missed the good wheel pricing. Had I known in the summer that I would be driving an i3 this winter...

The OEM winter wheel setup is square, at least as far as I know. Now, it is possible that one made for the REx might be staggered, I have not looked.

The base i3 has a square setup, and the winter tire set is the same. Other versions, and all REx's, have a staggered setup from the factory. I think there's enough load capacity with the square setup, and narrower tires bite to the pavement better than wider ones in the snow.

I found this part number for winter tire set (36110047998) it is about $1278.95 shipping included. Much cheaper than the 36112357088,
Did anyone buy this set of winter tire?

There are two part numbers for the winter tire sets, one has TPMS, the other doesn't, from what I understand. Depending on where you live, you may not need the TPMS, as the car uses tire rotation variances to determine when one tire is low (but can't determine if ALL tires are low because the differences won't exist from each other). Buying a set right now probably means tires at least a year old...winter tires tend to be made in the summer so that they're fresh for the next winter season. Tire rubber gets harder as it ages, and that can decrease your grip.

I have 3 Used 2014 BMW i3 Range Extender Tera (Turbine) wheels for sale. Used only one season. $150 each. 303-990-4368 Scott

Back