3M Crystalline Clear Tint/Film - Does it make a noticeable difference?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVBob

Greetings All,

Does anyone have the 3M Crystalline Clear Tint/Film on their windshield? If so, can you tell me your experiences with it? Did it make a dramatic difference as far as keeping the Infrared heat out?

With summer here and requiring heavy AC use during the day and aggressively chewing away at the SOC/Range - looking for a means to keeping the i3 cooler while in use. We already have Ceramic tint on all the windows and a tint strip across the windshield - however my guess is the rest of the massive windshield is the main culprit (as far as windows go) that is heating up the cabin while driving.

I suppose if we really wanted to go gung-ho on the film - we could apply this clear exterior grade film http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...938+8711017+8721691+8730573+3292123810&rt=rud to the exterior of the windows - though I'd imagine they'd get scratched up pretty fast just driving the car around...

In Honolulu, much of the heat entering our car comes down through the roof. The black roof absorbs solar radiation and reradiates it into the interior of the car. I can feel it radiating down on top of my head while driving. I'm interested in having exterior film, like the 3M film you referenced, installed on the exterior of the roof, but I haven't talked to a film installer to determine whether film on the roof would be durable and effective.

i dont buy the highest quality of tint, over the years all my bmw were treated with the cheapest ones and tint dont discolor. also, i stick with the same shop. the tint name he is using is suntek.
20% all around except of course the windshield. talking about heat, this car has huge windshield so basically the heat goes there and serves as inside heater.
tgL8ROF.jpg

I have it...it makes a difference. I had it done fairly soon after purchasing it, so didn't have very long before to compare.

If you have a bit more time when you stop, their car cover that covers the top front of the roof, windshield, and front doors to the window REALLY makes a difference in the heat buildup in the car. It seems like maybe a 20-30 degree difference at least. Only takes maybe a minute to install or remove, more if you try to fold it!

alohart said:
In Honolulu, much of the heat entering our car comes down through the roof. The black roof absorbs solar radiation and reradiates it into the interior of the car. I can feel it radiating down on top of my head while driving. I'm interested in having exterior film, like the 3M film you referenced, installed on the exterior of the roof, but I haven't talked to a film installer to determine whether film on the roof would be durable and effective.
That would be the next item for consideration, if using the Crystalline film on the windshield is not effective at helping in keeping cabin temps down while driving.

jadnashuanh said:
I have it...it makes a difference. I had it done fairly soon after purchasing it, so didn't have very long before to compare.
If you don't mind me asking, did your tinter itemize your receipt? If so can you tell us how much it was to get the windshield done? I've heard of estimates anywhere between 350-600 for the clear 3M crystalline product - If we go this route, I'm hoping it'll be a tad cheaper, since the top 12" of the windshield already has film on it, as a fat tint strip ;-)

jadnashuanh said:
If you have a bit more time when you stop, their car cover that covers the top front of the roof, windshield, and front doors to the window REALLY makes a difference in the heat buildup in the car. It seems like maybe a 20-30 degree difference at least. Only takes maybe a minute to install or remove, more if you try to fold it!
We have this the heat shield sun shade https://www.amazon.com/Hatchback-Heatshield-Windshield-Custom-fit-1509/dp/B00LNVAB68- that is a really impressive product - pain in the rear to roll back up, but makes a considerable difference when parking in the sun, unfortunately during short jaunts or long distance driving, its not much help while on the road ;-)

I had this done about 3-years ago...don't remember, and no, they did not itemize. The whole car cost me $700. A fair amount of money, but IMHO, it is the best one out there. It is also probably the thickest one, and the hardest to install on a large, curved surface like the i3's windshield (and is illegal to install many places!). It only shrinks so much. Because it is quite thick compared to most, it also creates a much more visible line if it doesn't go all the way to the edge of the glass. If I had to guess, the windshield was probably at least half, if not more, of the total.

FWIW, 3M won't sell the film to any shop...they have to take lessons and be approved before they can buy the stuff from 3M, this probably also helps keep the prices up...not as much competition between shops for your business.

Back