Rear Spoiler

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChristopherEmmanuel

Just purchased this spoiler

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-Lightweight-Racing-Rear-Wing-Truck-Spoiler-Aluminum-110cm-Universal-/371781497967?ssPageName=ADME:X:RRNTB:GB:3160

Has anybody drilled holes in the rear tailgate :eek:

Just wondering how to fit it now :roll:

ChristopherEmmanuel said:
Just wondering how to fit it now :roll:

Did you run the vehicle checker on the ebay item?

yadayada.jpg

I did not check as I don't think you can do anything much in the way of modifying the i3, and its been out since 2014.

I was thinking of mounting at the top under top spoiler there seems to be a small gap when the spoiler is pressed down, so thought I could go into the frame under there and have spacers to soak up the small gap between the top frame and the OEM spoiler cover.

Parts for the i3 are available on ebay here in the UK. A complete rear tailgate is around £200 complete and bumpers are around £120.

This one (Spoiler 12) seems to large for the top rear of the car, and I think is only a concept at the moment

http://www.3dtuning.com/en-US/tuning/bmw/i3.series/sedan.2014

(Click on top lip spoilers then select number 12) Many to choose from

ChristopherEmmanuel said:
I was thinking of mounting at the top under top spoiler there seems to be a small gap when the spoiler is pressed down, so thought I could go into the frame under there and have spacers to soak up the small gap between the top frame and the OEM spoiler cover.
The factory top lip spoiler is almost certainly thermoplastic, not CFRP because its properties are not needed and its expense isn't justifiable. So you could drill into the top lip spoiler cover, but I doubt the mount would be very solid.

I mounted daytime running lights hanging from the top of a front radiator air intake of our other car using double-sided automotive trim tape. These DRL's never loosened after almost 10 years of gravitational forces pulling them down and probably 20k miles of highway speed winds. So if a spoiler doesn't create too much drag, automotive trim tape might be sufficient and would avoid drilling any holes.

Back