2018 i3 running I-Drive6 with apple carplay

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlsmith12

I have seen the new 2018 BMW i3 on the showroom this weekend. It looks to be running idrive 6 version with carplay. When I asked the dealer if my 2014 can be updated they did not know.............. I was wondering if anyone knows if this can be done?

From my limited understanding the hardware for iDrive 5 is almost identical to the hardware for iDrive 6, minus the touch screen, so an update from iDrive 5 to iDrive 6 should be possible. Older iDrive 4 vehicles have different hardware which is not compatible.

I think all current i3 vehicles have iDrive 5 and 2018 models have iDrive 6, so an upgrade should be possible... but it might be that i3 vehicles sold to date have an updated version of iDrive 4. Does anyone know?

I'm not even sure where one can find the version number of the iDrive system. I'd love to know!

I'm curious on this as well.

Does the 2018 actually have a touchscreen? It would seem rather inconvenient if it were. I assumed it used CarPlay via the controller.

dirtyblueshirt said:
Does the 2018 actually have a touchscreen? It would seem rather inconvenient if it were. I assumed it used CarPlay via the controller.
I don't have a 2018 i3 with CarPlay. However, I have read that it does not have a touchscreen and uses the iDrive controller with CarPlay as you assumed.

Back