Sun Shield

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmathy

Hi,

We just purchased a used 2016 BMW i3 and we've been finding this form as well as some of the blogs, YouTube videos, and reviews to be very helpful in learning more about how to best use and care for this vehicle so a big THANK YOU to everyone for taking the time to share your experiences and tips.

Right now, we are hoping for some advice on finding a front window in-vehicle sun shield. The car will be in the garage at home, but I do not have covered parking at work and typically use a sun shield, especially in the summer, to mitigate the car temperature and to protect the dashboard. When we purchased the car, the BMW parts department could not locate a sun shield for our model and year and, in an online search, the only thing we have found is shields that go on the outside of the vehicle. I worry that outside shields could be stolen or blow away in a strong wind. Has anyone found an in-vehicle BMW sun shield or an aftermarket version that fits and works well in the i3? If so, please share the name/item number and where you ordered it.

Thank you.

Pam

FWIW, the BMW i3 cover is unlikely to blow away...it's hooked around each front door handle, pockets cover the mirrors, and there's a strap that goes inside the car with a ball on the end that is on the passenger side of the car. While you could cut it off, it is not going to blow off on its own. I like mine. Because it covers not only the windshield but the front two door windows, and that section on the roof, it does make a significant difference in heat in the cabin. An internal window shade still means the glass will get hot from the ir going through it and being reflected back. Some of it will radiate into the car. Nor does it cover the door windows or the roof. I find I can install mine in about a minute. I don't fold it when taking it off, but that would take longer.

If you want a custom interior one for the i3, WeatherTec does make one...not cheap.

I have always liked the simplicity and low cost of the "magic spring" sunshades that change shape from rectangles to smaller circles when twisting 2 adjacent corners toward each other. I have the jumbo size that has a reflective mirror coating on one side. Twisted into circles and secured with the attached elastic loop, these shades quickly store under the driver's seat unlike most foldable sunshades.

A negative is that the large mirror mount on the windshield deforms these shades causing a small coverage gap in the center below the mirror mount. They cover the entire height of the windshield and can be held in place by flowing down the sun visors.

These are generally available in stores like Walmart or auto supply stores. They shouldn't cost more than $15.

Popped one of these off Bamazon and it fits really well. Custom sized. Works really well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X7U56RM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only real issue is what to do with it once you are not using it. The windshield on our cars is HUGE! So this shield is SUPER long and difficult to stow.

TXBMWi3 said:
Only real issue is what to do with it once you are not using it. The windshield on our cars is HUGE! So this shield is SUPER long and difficult to stow.
That's why I prefer the "magic spring" type of sun shade that collapses into a circular shape that is small enough to store under the driver seat.

I've had a good experience with my Heatshield for the windshield. It rolls up and has a Velcro closure – I toss it in the back seat when not using it.

https://www.heatshieldstore.com

It doesn't seem possible to directly link to the correct product page but go through the motions of selecting your i3 and it's possible to pick gold or silver and then drill down to windows of interest.

I bought one for my windshield in 2014 – Heatshield hadn't yet worked out an exact fit but looking at pics on their website today it appears things are in better shape now.

alohart mentions a spring hoop style shade... Back in 2014 I couldn't find anything big enough for our windshields – is someone making one now?

frictioncircle said:
alohart mentions a spring hoop style shade... Back in 2014 I couldn't find anything big enough for our windshields – is someone making one now?
I bought my jumbo size spring hoop shades in 2012 for our Mitsubishi i-MiEV which also had a very large windshield. It fits our i3 well enough, so I haven't looked for a replacement locally. However, a quick Amazon search indicates that this spring hoop sunshade in the large size fits an i3. There are probably others.

Back