Mobile Phone mount with wireless charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

What's the name of the mount?

A link to a closed Facebook group is pretty much useless.

Just installed a Proclip mount in the i3. Really solid mount, it it does block the passenger vent a little. This isn’t a big deal for me because that seat is not often used, and I can always just throw the phone in the cup holder if I do have someone riding with me.

As far as wireless charging, it’s easy to fit a small Qi charger behind the holder for the phone. I have don’t this in my truck and it works perfectly.

Here's the Thingverse ready 3D print resource.

I ordered one with minimum fill in ABS and it works very nicely. All you do is figure out exactly what type of mount you want to use with it. You can rely on adhesive (not recommended) or you can screw mounts directly to the printed piece. I'm using a Wizgear one which seems to have decent enough grip. The quality of the part really depends upon where you order it printed.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1912781

5b4be118205bed68d08105a91590d954_preview_featured.jpg

It's worth noting however that there can be some interference with larger drink containers in the cup holders. Offset to the right is probably the best choice so that the driver can use the add-on holder and a passenger could use the center one. Even so, larger devices encroach over the other positions if the mount that is attached to the arm protrudes very far.

I'm thinking that attaching a magnet directly to the arm would work best to address that issue.

I adapted the phone cradle holder to take a wireless pad and added one on the dash.
gx1tt2v.jpeg
I’m trying to do exactly this! The wireless charging cradle is a mess and charges way too slow, and my phone is as hot as the sun. Do you mind sharing what you did, and what the charging pad is? Thanks in advance

edit: found it (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MYNNKV9/ ). Unfortunately reviews are not great and charging speed seems bad too. :/

Ideally looking for a charger/Mount that’s out of sight in the armrest or under it.

Last edited:
Hi! I use the "quad lock" system on bikes, motorbikes, and cars and use their charging mounts. Works a treat for me, but might not directly do what you want. (and it can feel expensive starting out with the case, the mount, the adaptors...!).
I used to use a 7.5w Anker charging pad in a cardboard box in a crappy old car ;-)
Good luck finding a nice solution.

Hi
I have the Quadlock cradle & integrated charger from my last car. I’ve been wondering where best to attach it for a few weeks now. IThe best options imo are on the windscreen at eye level, or on the vertical part of the firewall beneath the 12V socket. Your thoughts?
PS. I’m sticking with Quadlock as I use the same system on bikes too.

Last edited:
I tried several devices, mostly ones that used a cup holder. But after I bought an iPhone 15 I decided to look for one with wireless charging and settled on this one from Baseus:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BNM9CH4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It grabs the phone but it's not motorized, which I prefer because that's just one more thing to break. When you slide your phone into the Baseus the weight of the phone causes the side arms to swing up and lock the phone in place. To remove the phone, just lift it up.

The holder clips onto one of the air vent blades in a way that is quite solid, and the ball joint allows for positioning the phone so it's easy to see. This model lists for $40, but it was on sale for $19 when I bought it, and it still is. I'm very happy with it.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to turn on the cooling fan in the armrest phoneholder? My phone gets pretty warm in there.

Back