Gas consumption stats?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidrshelton

I've been driving my i3-REx for a couple of weeks now. I must confess that I've been super busy and haven't had an opportunity to read the Owner's Manual cover to cover. However, I think I've managed to figure out much of the vehicle reviewing various options and other discoveries along the way with occasional look-ups in the manual.

Are there any meaningful gas/petrol consumption statistics on this car? I would love to know what mpg I was getting without having to manually track it. At least with the Volt, I was able to use my Trip B counter (there are two), where it effectively tracked the lifetime gas usage for the car (102.5 gallons) and the lifetime mpg ("250+ mpg," but more accurately 282 mpg). On the i3-REx, the four gray bars with an estimation of remaining gas mileage ain't cuttin' it for me. I just made my first long-distance trip to San Diego (87 miles, one-way); I managed to get about 84 miles EV and the rest using gas.

I thought there might have been some "Total EV miles" statistics on either iRemote or ConnectedDrive apps, but still it leaves much to be desired, and I still need to see that it doesn't count the gas-based miles.

I hope that eventually the BMW designers come to understand the gestalt of the PHEV driving experience, where maximizing EV miles and minimizing gas consumption (via high mpg) are a badge of honor.

David

P.S. Though far from perfect, the Volt DC (Driver's Challenge) app or even the OnStar app used by Volts give a measure of the types of statistics that would be highly useful for the i3-REx.

Back