NEGATIVE .2 Consumption kWh/100km

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1096

I used my onboard navigation for my first longish trip this week and was surprised when it steered me off the newer high-riding US 7 route north in SW Vermont and onto the old, now "Historic 7A". I figured this was on account of the elevation (along a high ridge of Green Mountains), well above the valley floor where old US 7 is located. (Indeed, the highest elevation of US 7 is located on this "new" route between Bennington and Manchester)

My trip took me 54 miles east north east on NY7 from Albany NY at sea level on the Hudson, to Manchester Center VT at 1000' elevation with a lot of rolling hills in between.

My first long trip quest was three-fold:
1) Try charging it on an unbranded, private Level 2, 240 outlet at Hand Chevrolet in Manchester (free and friendly).
2) Run out of charge, and experience the cut-in of the REx engine.
3) Operation on state routes with stop and go, hills, and few areas of 55+mph.

This all went as planned: Nav told me in advance that the destination was out of "Comfort" range, but switching to EcoPro, it said OK and I arrived with about 12 miles charge left. I took on a free two-hour L2 charge at Hand's that put me back into the "blue" for "40 miles" on EcoPro+ back home. I ran out of charge about 12 miles from home, all down hill into the Hudson Valley, with the engine chugging on occasionally, but basically I was running on downhill recuperation. I parked home with Zero charge left and gas tank down one bar. It charged back fully in about 19 hours on my 120 cord.

HOWEVER, I need help in understanding the iBMW app Statistics readings. I did not write them all down, but here's what I recall/reconstructed.
My Efficiency was 100%; :mrgreen: However, my
Consumption was a puzzling (-.2) kWh/100km :roll:
with my 800+ miles total to date My All-trip consumption is 13.7 vs 15.5 community :D

I talked with my dealer's service writer this morning and he had no idea where the NEGATIVE .2 consumption came from.

Is it possibly calculating the intermittent gasoline charge as a discounted/negative input? :?:

I'd appreciate any experience or info you might have.

Back