High pitched metallic noise from a wheel

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSATLBA

My two week old i3 has just developed a high pitched metallic screeching noise when moving, it sounds like something I had an occasional problem with on an Audi 15-20 years ago as if a piece of grit had lodged somewhere close to a disc and it could usually be cleared by stopping and reversing. That hasn't worked in the i3 so I'll have to call the dealer. Has anybody else had a similar problem, I had a feeling I'd seen something similar on the forum some months ago but haven't turned anything up with some searches.

RJSATLBA said:
My two week old i3 has just developed a high pitched metallic screeching noise when moving, it sounds like something I had an occasional problem with on an Audi 15-20 years ago as if a piece of grit had lodged somewhere close to a disc and it could usually be cleared by stopping and reversing. That hasn't worked in the i3 so I'll have to call the dealer. Has anybody else had a similar problem, I had a feeling I'd seen something similar on the forum some months ago but haven't turned anything up with some searches.

Hey first off all congratulations on your new i3... you won't be disappointed. .. i have 6k on the clock and still love every moment behind the wheel.

Several people including me have experienced a droning noise particularly on cornering thought to be to do with tire tread... but not a screech...

I always make sure I use the brakes at least once a day to keep the discs clear if corrosion and determined leaves..

Chat to the dealer.... Please post your outcome...

Enjoy...

It also happened to me briefly. Seems like a rock got caught between the brake rotor and a sheet metal shroud (not sure what the proper term is for that part) on the inside part of the brake system.

Luckily my rock cleared out after going backward and forward hard.

It's a really bad sound and makes you quite concerned.

I've had the screech, sounded like a tram going round a corner!
Rang bmw and they suggested I drive forward a few car lengths then break hard, reverse a few car lengths and break hard, drive forward again and break hard.
It didn't clear it so of to the dealer I went. Half way to the dealer the screeching had stopped so I turn around and went home.
In 25 years of driving I've never had this issue.

Hi Roger, guys,

have had this issue multiple times over the years. Once or twice with our Mercedes and later with our Audi A2. Dislodging it never worked. I always had to remove a wheel to gain access to the slot between the disc and its backplate.
It has also happened once font/left with our i3. Because the front wheels are so large and narrow, and because they turn in so far, I had enough means of access to remove the offendig bit of driveway-gravel using as piece of sturdy electrical installation wire bent into a small hook at the end. Watch out for scracthes (I did tape-in the end).

Regards, Steven

PS: on a different note: not a typical REx-related issue, one would say...

Just had the same issue - people could hear me coming from a half kilometre away - sounded like a tram cornering on very noisy tracks. I drove the car home and reached behind the front driver side wheel. After wiggling the metal plate wherever I could reach the noise didn't recur (thanks for the tips!). I also purposely apply brakes after wet or damp weather as I've found the brakes can become noisy as a result of surface rust.

Back