California DMV Registration

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

I just received my California DMV registration for my i3 REx and the Motive Power (MP) is designated as Q for Hybrid when I was expecting E for electric. Has anyone received a CA DMV registration for the i3 REx where MP is something other than Q? This is not related to decals for carpool lanes.

NorCal said:
I just received my California DMV registration for my i3 REx and the Motive Power (MP) is designated as Q for Hybrid when I was expecting E for electric. Has anyone received a CA DMV registration for the i3 REx where MP is something other than Q? This is not related to decals for carpool lanes.

In CA it is considered a TZEV (transitional zero emission vehicle)

This is essentially the same class as a hybrid according to the DMV. It still qualifies for the green HOV stickers if there are any left.

Yes and the same stringent categorization applies in CARB States (like here in NY). Mine is registered as "gasoline".

I find this particularly annoying considering that I personally had NYS DMV registration categories revised (no small task on main frames) several years ago to include electric vehicles we were converting and testing at work. Then, along came CARB, and if you signed up for it, you signed up for the WHOLE gig.

Annoying. And lazy.

Back