Emergency fuel can for frunk

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iDoug

Contemplating a long-ish drive in an i3 REX and was wondering if anyone has tried putting an emergency fuel can in the frunk. I am thinking of something like the cans used by offroaders. Here is one at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/RotopaX-RX-2G-Gasoline-Pack-Capacity/dp/B003YBMDRU/ref=lp_15707861_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1425047805&sr=1-2

Gets great reviews as leakproof and most say no odor even if in the vehicle interior.

The 1 gallon size measures 9.5 by 3 by 13.8 inches. Someone posted that the frunk is 520mm x 225mm x 225-300mm tall. That is 20.47 x 8.86 inches. This can might fit an an angle.

Anyone tried this, or found another high quality gas can that fits?

Amazon lists the 2 gal as being 17 x 13 inches. Sounds too big. Does Rotopax sell more than one shape?

I recently did a couple of drives that would require REX and burn through a whole tank of gas. I did not have any extra fuel cans but found this strategy to work well. This assumes that the car was coded to enable the REX hold function. So, as soon as the SOC reaches 75% I would turn the REX on and run it until the tank is empty. Then run on battery until the next gas station, refill and continue on REX. Repeat until I'm sure I have enough battery charge to reach destination and recharge, then I can turn the REX off .

Just measured mine. It's more like 18 x 13-3/4, and it fits just fine at the back (side away from the front of the car) of the frunk. It might be too tall to fit at the front of the frunk.

Thanks pdurham. I will pick one up

What type of funnel is needed to fill the i3? On my truck, it has a capless neck and you have to jam a narrow funnel down it if you want to pour in gas or an additive.

Thanks also rtanov. I plan to code it for the REX hold and use your approach.

I've been using the EPA-approved spout that came with the tank. With that spout, I don't need a funnel. With some practice, you'll get the hang of it. The only real disadvantage is that there's no venting on the tank or the spout, so it takes a long time to empty the Rotopax tank. I've just ordered a vented spout (intended for water tanks so not EPA-approved for gas tanks) but haven't received it yet. It's here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ETRWLS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I have coded the car to give me the full 2.4 gallons of internal tank capacity, so I can run the internal tank to empty, and not have to worry about overflowing when I dump the full contents of the Rotopax into the car. Before I coded the car, I would need to stop filling a little before the Rotopax was empty and it was hard to tell exactly when to stop.

Oh, when I carry the tank in the frunk (and I carry it there only when I really need to), I have a towel in front of it to keep it from moving around in the frunk and maybe even provide a little padding if there were to be a collision.

pdurham said:
I have coded the car to give me the full 2.4 gallons of internal tank capacity, so I can run the internal tank to empty, and not have to worry about overflowing when I dump the full contents of the Rotopax into the car. Before I coded the car, I would need to stop filling a little before the Rotopax was empty and it was hard to tell exactly when to stop..

I am not keen on carrying gas in an extra tank and really would not want to be toting an "empty" gas fume filled tank (thinking boom). That being said I would love to capture that extra half gallon that is already on board. I have the rex hold function working and for now that may have to suffice until there is a plug and play means of accessing the full 2.4 gallons. I assume you went through the whole laptop to OBD port routine.

pdurham said:
The Rotopax 2-gallon fits very well in the frunk.

pdurham, would you mind taking a picture of this for me? I was planning on buying this for the exact purpose in this thread, but I want to make sure it'll fit alongside or underneth the bag that I also have in there.

Thanks so much for the info!

I've had a rex less than a week and ordered an "explosafe" 10l can. Not used it yet, but I'm keeping it for longer/more remote drives. not for daily use.

I'm not so keen on carrying on a regular basis, the frunk appears convenient but safety wise not so sure... that being said I went for the explosafe to reduce the risk, though in a head on collision it seems too vulnerable. The boot of course could lead to smell or rear ending, but probably safer...

Do you have a link to this fuel can you are using?

I'm honestly not worried about the safety of the setup, especially with the RotoPax which is what I ended up going with. I did a test after seeing what could be done to it online and I'd have to be hit by someone going a bajillion miles an hour - and at that point I have other problems.

I found that the No-Spill 10L (2.5 Gallon) can fit in the Frunk if turned on its side. Do you guys think this is safe? I have an inquiry out to the manufacture to see what they think about this position.

https://flic.kr/p/rYeAqk

I think it's important to have as little leaks as possible, that's why I went with the Rotopax. But see what the manufacturer says.

MFNATIK said:
I found that the No-Spill 10L (2.5 Gallon) can fit in the Frunk if turned on its side. Do you guys think this is safe? I have an inquiry out to the manufacture to see what they think about this position.

https://flic.kr/p/rYeAqk

Some people will tell you its unsafe, others will say otherwise. Remember these cans are designed to be carried in the car empty most of the time and only used to collect fuel when the tank runs dry, rather than be carried in the car permanently filled, as we're suggesting here. so yes, there's a risk that in a front-end shunt or a specific ferocity the fuel can could rupture, spill fuel and possibly combust and BBQ your I3. It's up to you to weigh up the probabilities of 1: the crash being front-end 2: the crash being high ferocity 3: the can being ruptured and 4: the spilt fuel being ignited by something

Statistically you would be very, very, very unlucky for the above to happen but there's a very small chance that it could. I've seen cars/motorbikes completely trashed with oil, water, and petrol spilt all over the place and the reality is that its very rare to actually see the petrol combust as a result of the accident.

It's a long answer but bottom line is make your own decision. I carried one for a few days but quickly realized that, at least here in the UK, its just not necessary as the petrol stations are so prevalent. In other countries it may be a very different story, though.

Its really a question of risk v reward. Is the reward (not having to stop for 5 mins to refuel) worth the risk, albeit small, of a fire?

Oh, I would never think of carrying this thing around full most of the time. I just thought it would be handy to have if we ever decide to take a roadtrip for those just case instances where we may not be able to get from one fueling station to another. Like maybe doing a run to Vegas from SoCal and having it as backup/insurance. But you guys are right, it would be too risky to drive around, and really not needed in SoCal LOL, to have a 2 gallon reserve in the frunk for everyday purposes. The wife doesn't even go into REx mode doing her daily stuff and there are gas stations every 2 miles here hahah.

Still no response from the manufacture tho. Will let you guys know when I hear from them.

Manufacture said not recommended to store with fuel on its side. Makes sense, but I think for short term use it would probably be ok. Long term, I wouldn't even try it.

Back