Heat Pump in the REx for 2015 now?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RExingIT

I was just looking at the 2015 REx's. It appears from the BMW website that both the 2015 models, both BEV and REx, now have Heat pumps....

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2015/i3/BMWi3RangeExtender/Features_and_Specs/Default.aspx

Can anyone compare this with the actual specs from the 2014 Model Year?

If so, then they redesigned things! The heatpump on the BEV is where the gas tank for the REx sits. That wasn't mentioned when the listed the changes between model years, and if so, I would have thought it would be a big thing.

I stopped at my local dealer on my way home...the US website is incorrect...there should be an asterisk or footnote that the heat pump is only standard on the BEV, not the REx. Other than the fact that the heat pump mounts where the REx's gas tank goes, there is also an issue about overall vehicle weight. With the REx and associated support equipment (gas tank, exhaust, cooling, etc.), adding the heat pump would put it outside of its current weight class, and trigger all sorts of additional requirements and testing. IOW, it is not likely to happen. That isn't an issue with the BEV, since the heat pump and its support equipment weighs less than the REx and its equipment. So, at least in the current implementation, it's an either/or situation, never both.

Back