Indicated Range vs Mi/Kwh consumption indicated

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RExingIT

I acquired my i3 REx this Saturday and so far have been quite pleased with it.

I know the range bar is widely criticized as the "Guess-O-Meter". I'm definitely getting this vibe from my car.

Guess-O-Meter right now says "Charge Status 64%" Comfort range--43 miles, Eco-pro+ Range 51 Miles.

Mi/Kwh consumption is currently at 5.9. This should give me a max range when full of around 110 miles on Eco pro + if I did my math right, and a current range remaining 71 miles. I know the REx will come in at 6% or so I likely won't be able to actually hit the 110 mile mark.

Ergo, actual range is around 40% greater that indicated range in Eco Pro+.

Does this sound correct?

Mi/Kwh consumption is currently at 5.9.

Is this an instantaneous reading or a reading for your last trip (over 18 miles)?

spinball said:
Holy moly, 5.9 mi/kWh?

How can you stand driving so gingerly in such a torque monster? :lol:

Most of the travel on my way to work is back roads of mostly 30 mph with stop signs and poorly timed traffic lights. Lots of regen. The occasional opportunity to give it the beans. :lol:

janner said:
Mi/Kwh consumption is currently at 5.9.

Is this an instantaneous reading or a reading for your last trip (over 18 miles)?

Not instantaneous, its the consumption over the last 18 miles reading. Incidentally, that's up to 6.0 now. There's a couple of places out here that have free charging so my operating costs are pretty low right now.

Finally have warm weather in Wisconsin and both the range and miles per kwh are improving on our 2014 BEV. Did two fairly long trip segments in June and July. First was 355 miles at 6.4 miles per kwh. Second was for 274 miles at 6.9 miles per kwh. Both of these were over a period of about 7-10 days and there was no freeway driving. Current trip segment is at 5.8 miles per kwh as I had the majority of the miles so far at 55 mph. Indicated range starts out between 112 and 126 miles and is fairly accurate.

Our time of day night rate is $0.055. Even allowing for charger efficiency it is costing me less than $0.01 a mile. This reflects in our electric and gas bill which was $66 in May and $78 in June for running the entire house and charging the i3. While great in the summer I know the range will drop off sharply come winter. Then I will be glad to get even 4.5 or 5.0.

Back